• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pac Man Transformers

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
I know its not pinball related, but any help would be great. Looking for some help with my Pac Man.

Based on all other photos I've seen it looks like my machine has an extra transformer. This is separate from the power supply block at the bottom of the cabinet.

It has definitely been added as the power cord has been spliced into this extra transformer, and its been bolted to the side of the cabinet.

I'll recheck, but I believe the power enters through the extra transformer, then into the power supply block. Make any sense?

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
It could be, but no other machine I;ve seen has one mounted to the side of the cabinet like mine. Where would the stock isolation transformer normally be located?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Has it been spliced or just plugged into? All games from that era (vid and pin) required a separate isolation transformer from Ontario Hydro before being legal on location. Most of them had a socket built into the transformer so no splicing was required but maybe yours was? If you're sure the original power cord was just spliced into it, there should be no harm in removing it. (and you could always test the voltage coming out of the transformer with your DMM, and if it's just 120VAC you can ditch it)

D

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Yep, turns out the extra transformer can be pitched. Now there's no wave in the screen and no hum over the speaker anymore.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steve

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
I remember when we had to put them in and the Hydro guy had to inspect each one to put a sticker on,it was expensive but the games made so much it was a cost of doing business. They radiated flux and made the picture wave as they were so close to the picture tube.