• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball Furniture

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Just wanted to share a little project idea that I'll be working on over the next few months.
I was fortunate enough to score this empty Countdown cabinet from TIMB (thanks Tim!) and figured it would make an awesome piece of furniture for my son's room.
This era of Gottlieb had some great colourful art and the rocketships and planets on Countdown are ideal.

The plan will be to strip and clean out the cabinet comepletly and then set it upright (as pictured below) and create some custom shelving/drawers inside the open cabinet to create a cool bookshelf and area to display toys. I know I've seen something like this before at the Pinball Cafe, and I decide to try my hand at creating a really nice one.

Luckily, this cabinet also came with a head and glass, so I may opt to mount that to the top of the unit and allow the door to swing out for more storage. Or, I could create a medicine cabinet styled display that mounts to the wall by itslef and acts as a compliment to the shelving unit. A great place to stash his dinky cars.
If the glass becomes problematic, I'll just remove it and make another open shelf unit for the wall... and maybe frame the glass for a 3-piece set ;)

Anway, I will post progress shots here as I go. I have plenty of other projects to get to first.
It should be a blast!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 240

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Using the backbox as a cabinet is a great idea-were you thinking of framing the glass, or trying to do it invisibly? Unless you cut the glass, I don't think you'd have space for a wood frame around it. Could also be pretty prone to flaking off the back, couldn't it?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I think I would remove the glass completely and just make a wooden frame and hang it on the wall as art... leaving the backbox empty. I'd add in a couple of shelves to the backbox and seal the door-frame shut. It could hang on the wall as-is.

The larger main cabinet will serve the same purpose, but it'll be on the floor and much larger of course... For stuff like books and larger toys.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
tim.sanderson said:
I've often thought how sweet it would be to turn an old cab/PF into a coffee table...

487544-antique-juke-boxes7.jpg

114_1442.JPG

Vintage_%27Memory_Lane%27_Pinball_Coffee_Table_%28a%29.jpg

eclectic-coffee-tables.jpg

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Love the cabinet artwork. That is going to turn out really nice. The rocket ship is perfectly placed shooting up to the sky. Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers,
Duane