• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Predator Pinball artwork

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
REVOLUTION said:
My biggest concern is that this game is going to have more of a "home-brew" feel than a professional quality to it.

Unlike new Stern's? :lol:

Big Bang Bar was behind schedule. Wizard Of Oz is/was behind schedule. Hopefully predator can be grouped in with them.

Its not like the whole Wayne Gillard debacle with his reruns of Cactus Canyon and Medieval Madness in Australia (and the Crocodile Hunter game). Did he refund everyone? Or just run away after threatening lawsuits on everyone?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Vengeance said:
meh

It's not my first go round the rodeo, this is the same kinda stuff that happened with Big Bang Bar (not that I got one but I did watch the show :) )

They seem enthusiastic to get this done and are promising delivery dates and things they can't deliver on. It seems to me like it's more a case of "Their eyes are bigger then their stomach"

As long as it keeps moving forward, even if it takes another 2 years I don't care, it gets here when it gets here, I'm in no rush.

ha, yeah BBB must have been quite the ride. Even now that is completed, nothing from Gene would ever make me think he was capable of getting that project done.

As Brock mentioned above, I'll mostly be paying attention to how home brew it is looking at expo.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
At this point is the $250 still refundable in case you want to back out of Predator? If so then I would be feeling pretty confident regardless of what the guys have in store at expo next week regardless of how their website looks or presents their products.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I would think the deposit is fully refundable. I'm not even remotely interested in asking for mine back at this point. As long as they turn out a good game, I'm happy.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Can't wait for more pics and new video from people attending Expo

Attachments

• 142651-i.jpg
    142651-i.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 768

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I'm not going to post this on Pinside cause I don't want to feel like I'm kicking them while they are down, but since they likely will not read this...

Predator was one of the first wave of boutique pin announcements. As it is nearing release, I think we are seeing the hard realities of what it takes to make a pinball, and that a couple guys in their basement just don't have the resources or expertise to fully realize a project like this.

Gary Stern will talk about how it takes $1,000,000 to develop a new title. This is probably more true than not. Between all the engineers that are on salary to create it, and other craft people and designers.

Jersey Jack burned through many millions getting WOZ done. I've been critical of that game as well, but I take back most of what I've said at this time because at the end of the day he's got a game out there, and the quality of it is good. The theme may never be a winner with me, but we got to watch the process of what it took to make it happen, how many people were involved, the expertise of those involved.

I had been concerned of whether skitb can get this done, I think the rubber is meeting the road here.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Predator was at Expo. It looked pretty good IMHO. (Keep in mind I have not viewed it since May 2012 since I first played the 1st white-wood)
I don't know what the issues were with the machine exactly, but it was not playing when Drano and I left on Saturday morning from Expo.
Drano may be able to add some more info. than I am able to on it.

I still have 3 ordered. 1 for me and 2 for other GTA friends. I am not going anywhere. We are all around 50 to 60 machines produced in-line
which is right where I wanted to be.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I heard from my friend Scott Gullicks who was in the same booth with his custom Wrath of OIympus game that the main problem was SkiB swapped out their Williams driver boards for P-Roc PD-16 boards just before the show and hadn't tested them or figured out how to write the software to get them to run properly.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
mwong168 said:
I heard from my friend Scott Gullicks who was in the same booth with his custom Wrath of OIympus game that the main problem was SkiB swapped out their Williams driver boards for P-Roc PD-16 boards just before the show and hadn't tested them or figured out how to write the software to get them to run properly.

thats nuts.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
mwong168 said:

A total aside but Scott's machine at the show rocked ... incredibly well done and IMO was way ahead of any of the other small guy operations .. hope he gets the numbers he needs to produce it (very nice guy and very willing to discuss all elements of what went into his game)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
100 % agree with Squid here. I would only buy these 2 pins in discussion shown @ Expo.
Predator and Wrath of Olympus. Everything else has a long way to go, or it just wasn't
for me.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I'm read to bail. Kevin on pinside just posted that production will start in "a few weeks" (this is posted today, after expo). Despite the good things about this game (programming, rules, theme), I can't trust them to put together a quality product, and am not seeing it. If they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat I'll be happy for them but there are plenty of new options in the pin world now competing for my dollars.

So, if someone wants to get on their list, my number will be coming up.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
100 % agree with Squid here. I would only buy these 2 pins in discussion shown @ Expo.
Predator and Wrath of Olympus. Everything else has a long way to go, or it just wasn't
for me.

I'm glad you and Drano got to play and meet Scott. I've known him for a few years now and we met on Hyperspin forums when we were both working on our PinMAME cabs. I already emailed and told him to put me on the list if he ever decides to take his game into production but he said he is still far away from there is still have a ton of development work to make it really pop such as flashers, more GI, more modes, multiball, etc. He was quite amazed that a pin with no multiball was still engaging people so well and pretty much everyone had fun playing this game.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Skit-B Predator October 28, 2013 Update

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lj-Pop41otk[/youtube]

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This may be a home brew game, but it certainly looks better than any home brew... Sure it may not be on the level of RAZA or MG, but I never expected that from Skit-B and given the price of the game nobody else should either. What I do see are some pretty cool gameplay features, with what looks to be some pretty entertaining rules, and I wouldn't be surprised to see these guys tweak the software after it's released once we all have the games in hand and send in constructive criticism. For the initial cash I've had to outlay for Pred, I'm more than happy with what I see. My hats off to them.

I'm also wondering if they had to pull or refrain from posting the Pred info on their site due to legal reasons and licensing? (thinking the deal is they can only post stuff on the site once the game is completed and Fox has given a final "signing off"?)

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Some updates from Kevin on pinside regarding Predator

1) Multi-ball Modes

Quick Multiball:
- Awarded from Mystery
- Two ball
- Stackable
- All major shots score 10M apiece

Standard Multiball:
- Achieved by lighting and activating ball locks.
- Three ball
- Stackable
- Ramps and loops score jackpots of 25M once apiece. When all jackpots are cleared, Jungle Hole lights for 100M Super Jackpot. After Super is achieved, lower right eject will relight jackpots.

Hunt Multiball:
- Activates upon fourth successful Hunt shot.
- Stackable
- Three ball
- Single shot lights for 40M. After 5 seconds, another shot is added, but value of those shots drops to 30M. After another 5 seconds, another shot is added and drops the value by 10M again. This process continues until 4 shots are lit and the value bottoms out at 10M. Process starts over when a lit shot is made.

Killing Spree Mini-Wizard Mode:
- Awarded by making all shots (left loop, left ramp, jungle hole, right ramp, right loop, right eject) three times each.
- Three ball
- Stackable
- Each playfield shot correlates with a team member. Shot value starts at 20M and goes up by 10M by eliminating the team in the proper sequence. When a shot is made out of sequence, the value resets back to 20M.

Showdown Wizard Mode:
- Awarded by completing all HUD modes.
- Four ball
- Standalone
- All playfield shots are worth 25M and add 10M to Showdown Jackpot value that is collected at the Jungle Hole.

Unload HUD Mode:
- Starts by shooting the Jungle Hole when Unload Mode is lit (fourth mode)
- Four ball
- Standalone
- Flipper hold coils are disabled and all balls are continuously launched back into play for 30 seconds. All switches score their normal value +1M. For every ball that drains, that value is decreased by 10% for the duration of the mode.

Reveal HUD Mode:
- Starts by shooting the Jungle Hole when Reveal Mode is lit (sixth mode)
- Up to four ball
- Standalone
- When started, a second ball is added to play. Another ball is added when the left ramp is made, and yet another when the right eject is made. Right eject, left ramp and Jungle Hole are lit during this mode, and the values increase or decrease depending on how many balls are currently in play.

2) Modes

There are six standard modes and the wizard, so I guess we could call it seven modes in total. Here goes another long post?

By the magic of copy and paste, here's a quick refresher of the wizard mode:
Showdown Wizard Mode:
- Awarded by completing all HUD modes.
- Four ball
- Standalone
- All playfield shots are worth 25M and add 10M to Showdown Jackpot value that is collected at the Jungle Hole.

Going from left to right on the HUD, we have Camp, Runaway, Tracking, Unload, Traps and Reveal.

Camp:
This is the most "vanilla" of all the modes. Both ramps and both loops light for 20M apiece. Making those shots destroy the enemy camp, and completing the mode nets an extra 20M, making the mode worth 100M in total if completed. No special modifiers or flairs really apply to this mode, but if you use the super skill shot, this will almost assuredly be your first mode you play. That's important to note, because you always begin the game with Hunt stocks available and the shots that are lit for the camp mode are all potential Hunt shots.
Side Note: I ALWAYS use this mode to get some successful Hunts out of the way while quickly taking a nice score lead. Hunt + lit mode shot = 40M, so if you complete this mode and make three hunts, you will have Hunt MBall ready in one more successful shot and already be close to 200M score.

Runaway:
Chase Anna through the jungle. This is admittedly kind of a weird mode. Mode begins with a 30M countdown hurry-up shot to the left loop. Once the left loop is made (or the value drops to 10M), the active shot switches to the right loop, but this time it counts UP instead of down. The count-up will start from the value of the left-shot-score and begin counting up until it adds 30M. Once it peaks, you still have a few seconds to make the shot before the mode ends. If you hit both shots at max value, the value of the mode is a cool 90M for two calculated shots.
Side Note: Any time the ball is caught in an eject or a hole, or gets into the pops, the countdown or countup stops for a few seconds. As a personal aside, this mode ends with one of my favorite quotes in the game, which is Poncho saying "Maybe you'd better put her on a leash, agent man."

Tracking:
For this mode, you sort of change roles and become the Predator. This mode is played out completely in blacklight. Mode begins with the right eject lit, but you move the active shot to whichever shot you like by using the extra flipper buttons. If you get a good flow going, you can knock out all six shots in the time you're given, but it's tough. Shots start at 15M and grow by 5M for each success, making this potentially the most valuable mode at 165M total, but like I said, kinda tough.
Side Note: Mode starts with Billy saying "The only way outta here is that valley that leads to the east..." Hit both flipper buttons after the call out for a quick easter egg and have Billy finish the famous line (vulgarity must be on).

Copy and paste two, electric boogaloo:
Unload HUD Mode:
- Starts by shooting the Jungle Hole when Unload Mode is lit (fourth mode)
- Four ball
- Standalone
- Flipper hold coils are disabled and all balls are continuously launched back into play for 30 seconds. All switches score their normal value +1M. For every ball that drains, that value is decreased by 10% for the duration of the mode.

Traps:
Set the traps to catch the Predator. In this mode you alternate setting traps up high and down low by hitting ramps then holes. I think of it in phases. In first phase, you have to hit either ramp, and in second phase you have to hit a hole. The phases go back and forth with each successful shot. Successful shots are worth 15M each, with a 10M bonus for completing all six turns, making this mode worth 100M total.
Side note: If you somehow manage to sneak into the left eject during this mode, you'll find another easter egg and a small bonus. Another personal aside, there is another of my favorite quotes in this mode. "You really think this Boy Scout bullsh*t's gonna work?"

Copy and paste episode III: revenge of the sith:
Reveal HUD Mode:
- Starts by shooting the Jungle Hole when Reveal Mode is lit (sixth mode)
- Up to four ball
- Standalone
- When started, a second ball is added to play. Another ball is added when the left ramp is made, and yet another when the right eject is made. Right eject, left ramp and Jungle Hole are lit during this mode, and the values increase or decrease depending on how many balls are currently in play.

Pictures:

153496-i.jpg

153517-i.jpg

The UV is rockin'. Here is one of our test boards in extremely low-res. It's just a random square on the board, NOT indicative of placement or style.

153604-i.jpg