• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

robocop plastics * remake?

atariaction

Dec 1, 2012
London, ON
stores.ebay.com
anyone know how to make up a few plastics? both slings and the center plastic. anyone able to do this or know how it can be done? can u just print stickers from scans and cut new lexan and stick em on?

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
I made up some plastics for my Road Show.

Found a hi-res scan of the plastics, cleaned them up in Adobe Illustrator, and found a printing company here in London that knew what I was looking for (he has a Kiss himself) and they printed as many plastics as they could fit on a 12" x 12" sheet for $25. It's up to you to cut them out.

I brought my sheet to Aaron's last league night - too bad you didn't see them

atariaction

Dec 1, 2012
London, ON
stores.ebay.com
Hammerhead said:
I made up some plastics for my Road Show.

Found a hi-res scan of the plastics, cleaned them up in Adobe Illustrator, and found a printing company here in London that knew what I was looking for (he has a Kiss himself) and they printed as many plastics as they could fit on a 12" x 12" sheet for $25. It's up to you to cut them out.

I brought my sheet to Aaron's last league night - too bad you didn't see them

ahh that is amazing! i want to do that!

tim.sanderson

They look good.

I whipped up a few last week. I still have to cut out the plastics.
The RG ones I got from a post on MAACA (I think. Or was it Pinside...?) and the Fire! ones are for/from Rob/Spiro Agnew.
The Jokerz and Robocop ones I did myself using CorelDraw/Photoshop.

The ones I did have a full bleed to them, so I can just trim them after I apply them to the pre-cut plastics. The RG ones will be a bit trickier, as I have to cut the plastics after applying the decals.

Attachments

• plastics decals.jpg
    plastics decals.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 379

atariaction

Dec 1, 2012
London, ON
stores.ebay.com
oh ya. looks good! im making a lah ticket to cover the pf ticker wear. any tips on material to use? currently printing on vinyl with laminate top layer

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 372

tim.sanderson

A playfield decal... cool! I haven't been brave enough to try that yet. I have no tips to give yet, as this is new territory for me.
The first decals I had printed up are on a solid white vinyl, and laminated over top. This will put the image on top of the plastic. I'm going to do a second run using "internal graphics" The image is printed on the sticky side of the decal, so it goes on the underside of the plastic, like the original screen printing. (a benefit of having a friend who's business prints decals :p)
Maybe I'll get around to cutting the first Jokerz plastics this weekend.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Anything I've read about playfield decals, people have used something called a "waterslide decal".

The bigger issue as I understand it is how to protect the decal after the fact, as that part of the pf will have no protection. Can you clear over it, or will it affect the ink the artwork start to bleed? I'm looking into a similar fix for my Road Show.

Robocop plastics look pretty good. Did you use original scans or the redrawn versions? Colour matching is always going to be a problem with redrawn images unless you do multiple test prints and play with the shading to get it just right. Plus, the original plastics can fade and yellow over time, so what is the actual original colour?

As long as you don't put them side-by-side, you shouldn't be able to notice the difference.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
atariaction said:
oh ya. looks good! im making a lah ticket to cover the pf ticker wear. any tips on material to use? currently printing on vinyl with laminate top layer
The one thing I notice is the eye on the decal is white, where its transparent on the playfield. Maybe since its not the part of the pf that's damaged, cut the white out altogether?

atariaction

Dec 1, 2012
London, ON
stores.ebay.com
Hammerhead said:
Anything I've read about playfield decals, people have used something called a "waterslide decal".

The bigger issue as I understand it is how to protect the decal after the fact, as that part of the pf will have no protection. Can you clear over it, or will it affect the ink the artwork start to bleed? I'm looking into a similar fix for my Road Show.

Robocop plastics look pretty good. Did you use original scans or the redrawn versions? Colour matching is always going to be a problem with redrawn images unless you do multiple test prints and play with the shading to get it just right. Plus, the original plastics can fade and yellow over time, so what is the actual original colour?

As long as you don't put them side-by-side, you shouldn't be able to notice the difference.

actually the guy who gave me a the sacn (ended up not using) looks to have a waterslide decal business :)

i think the art is printed on teh vinyl and then the laminate coating is alliped/prinetd? to the top so the art is actually well protected it appears

i did use the redrawn ones you gave me. printer tried 8 times to color match. came pretty close though but by then it was too late since i used the older run. they look pretty good and most wont notice. the gi light does not bleed right through your RS plastics?

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
atariaction said:
the gi light does not bleed right through your RS plastics?

To be honest I don't know since my RS came to me beat with pretty much destroyed plastics. I've never really noticed.