• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Sloppy EM Flippers

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Anyone know how to fix sloppy flippers on an EM?

I've got a Segasa Monaco and the right flipper is very noisy and when a ball hit it with any speed it drops back down a bit and then sends the ball back onto the PF.

I thought it would just need to have the coil stop and flipper plunger replaced, which I did and it hasn't changed anything.

I've also adjusted the EOS to make sure it opens at the end of the stroke.

Anything else I should look for?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
The noise on EM games is usually attributed to vibration.
Making sure the coil is very tight to the stop and there is no wear or mushrooming is the first thing to check.
However, some people think it's mostly attributed to the AC cycles and not much you can do to eliminate it completely. Once games went DC, that sound dissapears.
That being said, I've played really well maintained EMs that have very little to no flipper hum.

As for the weakness when catching a ball... don't know what to suggest beyond what you've already tried.

I know some EMs have optional lugs and can be "hi-tapped" at the transformer to provide a little extra juice to the coils... but not sure if this would help, or even be recommended, to help with this situation.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLwDgGniDg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Made a quick video of what is going on

Timb

Oct 17, 2013
aurora
i think you will find the smaller wire on the coil is broken it goes from the outside post to the other outside post

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have seen similar issues in the past on EMs when:
- the flipper coil is not the correct original one (compare with the left flipper coil);
- the angle of the coil stop is not at 90 degree with the plunger (yours appears fine);
- diode left present on a replacement flipper coil, on an AC flipper circuit;
- spring non original and too strong.

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Spring is not original, perhaps it is too strong

Thanks for the ideas Sylvain, I will look into them.

sylvain said:
I have seen similar issues in the past on EMs when:
- the flipper coil is not the correct original one (compare with the left flipper coil);
- the angle of the coil stop is not at 90 degree with the plunger (yours appears fine);
- diode left present on a replacement flipper coil, on an AC flipper circuit;
- spring non original and too strong.

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
One more thing - on a DC flipper circuit (as in many Williams EMs - I believe Segasa is similar),
the bridge rectifier under the playfield may be bad - only if both flippers are weak the same way.

I am sure you already filed the EOS and flipper button switches to make sure no contact resistance there.

- Sylvain.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
sylvain said:
One more thing - on a DC flipper circuit (as in many Williams EMs - I believe Segasa is similar),
the bridge rectifier under the playfield may be bad - only if both flippers are weak the same way.

I am sure you already filed the EOS and flipper button switches to make sure no contact resistance there.

- Sylvain.

The left flipper is fine the sloppiness is only on the right.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I think the coil is wrong, the left is an original segasa 28-400 and the right is a quality coils usa 38-800 dc coil

There are no diodes on the coil though

So i guezs i need a new coil

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Thanks for the confirmation, now to buy a replacement.

either another big order for PBL or a one off order for playdium.

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
Looks like you have a Williams coil in there some of those Spanish games use an odd value and they are finiky,original parts work best over the years I've seen a lot of substitutes thrown into EMs.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
No way I'm gonna find an original sonic coil, ordered the proper replacement, got it yesterday, plan to install it tonight, so we'll see.

zebulon

Jul 9, 2013
Whitby, ON
While you have the coil and the stop out, strike the stop sharply off a hard metallic surface (or give it a sharp whack with a hammer on the backside of the bracket). Unless you have a copper/non-ferrous stop in there, it probably has become magnetized as well. That's probably part of the buzzing issue.