• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Smoke in the cabinet is bad, right?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Is this something that a decent surge protector/UPS would solve? Could a voltage drop actually cause a problem like this? You'd think it'd be a spike that would fry things.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
What was the voltage spec on the replacement varistor that blew again ?
At least 130 volts, right ?

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
Nothing like a good spike to fry everything, a bad neutral line[white wire] will do that it divides the 240VAC into a split phase 120VAC

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
sylvain said:
What was the voltage spec on the replacement varistor that blew again ?
At least 130 volts, right ?

I believe it was 130. We looked it up online and found them at Sayal.

I've left my machines unplugged all the time since then. Now with me moving to a new house it's a waiting game to get out of here with no more incidents :).

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Menace said:
Luckily the damage wasn't too bad, and I was able to repair everything for Chris.

D

Yes, big thanks to Dr Menace for the house call. We were going to attempt to swap the varistor ourselves until we saw that the damage was more extensive melting several wires around it. Definitely a bigger job than I was comfortable attempting. Everything has been fine since, no "brown outs" noticed in the house since then, but as I said I'll leave the games unplugged till I move if not being played.