1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stern Audio Out - Headphone Connector

Discussion in 'Pinball Tech Support' started by Steve Pons, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Steve Pons

Steve Pons New Member

Hi All,
    New happy owner of a SW Premium that just got delivered on Friday.

I'm thinking about getting the Stern Spike 2 Headphone Adapter (sold here: http://costore.com/sternpinball/productenlarged.asp?peid=235&pid=6782968)

In reading the machine's manual, it appears there is a connector on the main CPU board behind the back glass for audio out but I cannot find it for the life of me. Am I missing something?

The machine is advertised as having a "New CPU mounted line-out audio connector for external amplification" but I can't seem to identify where on the main CPU Node board there is any connector.

Wondering if anyone has a recent Stern machine and can tell me if I'm going crazy...

Thanks!
    Steve

2. shinynick

shinynick Member

I called Stern about this issue as I could not find the connector either... Chas told me that they eliminated it for BM66 & SW (& prob Aerosmith) but did not update the manuals... I see that the feature matrix for GotG says that the connector is there but I have my doubts...

3. Luckydogg420

Luckydogg420 Member

It seems like spike 2 games don’t have the headphone jack on the board like spike games do.

It blows my mind that they’re selling a “New Spike 2” headphone kit for games that literally don’t have a spot to connect them. How many pissed off customers will spend $100 without doing their homework and want a refund.

How poor must communication be within Stern for someone to not catch this blunder. They obviously didn’t even connect one to a machine to see if it works. How do I know that they didn’t test it before bringing it to market? Because there’s no way to connect it.

4. Steve Pons

Steve Pons New Member

Stern JUST listed that SPIKE 2 Headphone Accessory... I just flipped a note to ask P1G if it was compatible with my SW Premium machine. If it is, I'm happy to buy one...

5. Luckydogg420

Luckydogg420 Member

A guy on pinside has been dealing with this issue. Apparently he was sent a spike kit with the headphone wire that is useless on spike 2 games. He was told that it has changed to a 5pin connector on both sides of the wire for spike2 games. So the plate That goes into the dollar bill acceptor had a different connection also.

He said that stern was going to send him the right stuff, but it’s on backorder and has been for weeks.

6. Steve Pons

Steve Pons New Member

I just got a response from Stern tech support. Apparently the image on the website is incorrect, but the SPIKE 2 Headphone connector listed on their store is correct. I was going to order one from P1G for $144 CDN...
    (Figure it's about the same when you factor in exchange, duty, etc...)

Wish me luck...