• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Power Supply

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Is there a specific reason I can't add a Molex connector for the wires so I can disconnect the power supply board from the transformer?

It seems like the silliest thing ever as I have to replace the fuse clips but the wires are soldered directly to the board and this is from the factory.

Is the current to high that a molex connector won't work or will just burn up?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
One less point of failure, and my guess is it was completely done for cost reasons. Technically I don't see why you couldn't but adding something like that in would honestly be more work than just desoldering and resoldering the wires to the board.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
*shrugs*

guess it's a matter of opinion, I find it more of an issue to have to:

Take pictures
Notes the position of each wire
Do the work
solder the wire back on
Hope you didn't fuck up so you have to start at the top again.

I'm going to add a connector, I find it easy to snip, strip, crimp and done. Then it will 100x easier to remove the board whenever is necessary going forward.

Menace said:
One less point of failure, and my guess is it was completely done for cost reasons. Technically I don't see why you couldn't but adding something like that in would honestly be more work than just desoldering and resoldering the wires to the board.

D

cooke

Nov 14, 2012
London, Ontario
www.londonpinball.ca
It is a stupid design. You get used to it after you've replaced a few dozen of those power supplies. :)

Oh, and replacing the fuse clips on that board is a colossal pain in the ass. If you're doing that much work, you may as well replace the connector headers, bridges and diodes as well. Of course, if you're going to that much effort, you may as well install a Rottendog or GPE repro instead. At least, that's what I would do. ;)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If I was keeping the game I would, I just need to get the GI working again.

I have a rotten dog in my Quicksilver and the fuse clips have fatigued on that one as well.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
cooke said:
REALLY? I've never seen that before.

Yep, the fuse the controls the solonids on the board, the clips lost tension so the fuse no longer makes contact.

Happened during the OTown Throwdown, I've got it working by using aligator clips clipping them onto the fuse at both ends and then back to the fuse clips on the rottendog board.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Woo hoo...my first post.

Anyway....whenever I have to work on a power supply for anything remotely time-consuming, I just unscrew the whole transformer/power supply from the backbox.
Does this not sound like a reasonable solution ? Of course, when the power supply is in the cab, it is a little more work than just a few screws, but I'm talking late 70's games here.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Already done :p

Added in the connector and replaced the fuse clips. GI is working just fine again.

And now the next owner if there is ever a problem it will be a simple connector to gain access to the board outside the machine.