• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SWDE

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Hi everyone. Happy New Year!
This is my first post on this new forum.....I have been AWOL long enough!

I have a question about SWDE. I recently picked up an amazing conditioned SWDE. I gave it to my kids (really to me) for Christmas. My 2 boys and I were playing and everything was working out well until......
1. We started having issues with the start button not wanting to start a game. Nothing happened when the button was pushed? Ironically, if you pushed it, then shook the machine, it would launch 2 balls - you'd play those then your upon draining, the game ended.

I decided to shut the game off and look at the start button, maybe I broke a connection when I shopped out the game. NOW....

2. I try to turn the machine back on.......nothing!!!! No lights, no sound, no nothing!

I have checked all the fuses and verified they are good. I am going to replace the the power cord (as there is an electrical taped spot. I will order a new on/off switch.....

DOES ANYONE know what else I should look at??? The machine looks virtually brand new.......

PLEASE HELP (before baseball season and I break out my bats :evil: )

Thanks
Kyle

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hey Kyle,

Definitely sounds like you're having power supply issues. Do you have a DMM handy to test for voltages on the power supply board in the head?

Doug

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
DMM (digital multi meter I assume)?
If so...yes I have one. Though, I am not sure how to use it (except on the fuses) nor do I know what to use it on? I don't know exactly where I should be testing. I have tested all fuses including the main cab fuse...all good.
I am going to replace my cord (when I get to Canadian Tire to buy a new one). I really don't think it can be a too big a deal???

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Golden Graham said:
DMM (digital multi meter I assume)?
If so...yes I have one. Though, I am not sure how to use it (except on the fuses) nor do I know what to use it on? I don't know exactly where I should be testing. I have tested all fuses including the main cab fuse...all good.
I am going to replace my cord (when I get to Canadian Tire to buy a new one). I really don't think it can be a too big a deal???

If you are sure it's just the cord then it's no big deal, but where you were having the start and ball issues I'm banking on power supply issues. If you're not handy with a DMM and board repair, best to have someone that is take a look at it.

If I was closer I'd offer my services. I do know someone in London that could help if you're interested.

Doug

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Thanks Doug, I really appreciate it!
If your contact in London ever comes this way, I'd be more than happy to pay for his pinball services. Unfortunately London is a pretty far drive away. A friend of mine owns Town & Country Amusements in Windsor. Maybe he can spare a guy...
I am going to open the main cab fuse box tonight to see if anything looks burned (as per a suggestion)
When you are talking about the board in the backbox, would any issue be visible? Would pictures help you to give me a better idea??
Thanks for the info!

Kyle

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Unless something on the power supply board (should be in the top right corner of the head) is burnt you won't be able to tell much without a DMM. Could be one of a number of things causing the issue unfortunately.

Let us know how things go, and if you strike out with T&C I can put you in touch with my friend in London.

D

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
I tend to look at the basics when I have found 0 power issues. I had a re-import sega a few years back that suddenly went dead. I traced the power cord, removed the power box(?) inside the coin door, etc etc and further down the line found one of the jumper wires in the molex connector at the transformer (the one you need to rejumper when you import games on a different voltage) had wiggled loose. It wasn't visually noticable until i gave it a tug and it popped out. Stupid and simple suggestions but it fixed it. Check it just in case. Its odd to have 0 power. Check your 8amp main fuse inside the coin door too. this won't fix the start button issue though.

Mike