• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Switches double up or go to optic

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Really getting tired of my Nascar garage raise having issues.
My tech ahs suggested doubling up the switch or his favorite Switching to an optic switch and wiring in a small board to run it.
Looking for some input on both sides of the fix.
Also is there anyone who sells a ready made optic switch kit with a board?
Thanks

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey BM, I cannot believe the problems you are having with this pin. If I had the cash I'd buy it back from you. My son misses it quit a bit. I enjoyed it a lot too.

You should not have to double up a switch or switch to optics. The pin was designed to use only one switch and it works using one switch. There has to be an underlying problem that your tech has not located.

Did your tech swap out the garage bearings I set you? Remove the entire garage assembly. When you have the garage assembly in your hands grab it on the top (the car) while holding onto the bottom. Now remove your hand from the bottom. The bottom should drop freely without any binding. It should be a smooth slide. If it doesn't then something is getting caught.

If you would like to send the garage assembly to me I would be more than willing to take a look at it for you. Sometimes all you need is a second set of eyes. PM me.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I have not swapped them out as the assemby is moving freely. I did swap out the 5a coil for up down with the proper factory 3a.
The garage did work properlythe first few games after trying the switch the other way and then returning it to normal.
Seems to me that it could be that once it gets a little loose the switch acts up
Who really knows.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
You lost me. There are 3 coils on the garage mech. Two are 23-800 and one is a 22-1080. The 22-1080 is the one that does the lifting while the smaller 23-800's release the garage so that it can fall and the other spits the ball back onto the PF from the scoop.

What are the 5a and 3a coil you are referring to?

Has your tech seen this Service Bulletin that is posted on Stern's website?

Service Bulletin #160;
"The Car Target Up-Down Assembly will not latch in the up position or may get stuck in the up position."
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb160.pdf

Is this what your NASCAR is doing? The new bracket is already installed, but maybe you bent it?

I honestly don't mind looking at this. PM me if you want to ship me the garage mech.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
The replacement was installed before I got this machine. I will shift my focus to the bracket coils stop. With any luck the old one you included isn't bent.
I have a brother that is a welder that could tack on a few more welds
Another that's a machinist that may be able to cut me a one piece bracket.
At least I have somewhere to look thats new....
Hopefully I can put this issue to bed the garage not raising is pushing scoring too high as theres no random vuk action.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't understand what you mean by "the replacement was installed before I got this machine". Are you talking about NASCAR still? The coils installed on the garage mechanism are the stock ones.

You didn't clarify which coil it was that you replaced. Was it the 23-800 or the 22-1080 coil?

The old bracket that I included is the one that originally came with the game. The one that is installed is the reinforced bracket. This is the bracket mentioned in SB #160. Check the new one to see if it is bent, but it if isn't leave it installed as it's more robust.

In my experience, if the garage mechanism tries to lift and falls, tries to lift and falls, tries to lift and falls, then it means it is not lifting high enough to engage the lock pin that locks it in the upright position, or the switch for the garage release is not positioned properly, or just bad.

You should be able to test the mechanical sliding, locking of the garage without any power to the mechanism. If it doesn't work when there isn't any power then it won't work at all.

If you are familiar with raising the PF, then raise it up. There are two electrical connectors you will need to disconnect, and then 2 or 3 screws which need to be removed. Removing the garage mechanism out of the PF is pretty painless. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Having the entire thing in your hands is the best way to troubleshoot it.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
The 22-1080 was actually a generic 5v coil and not the 3v on the schematic. When troubles first started it was the first thing to get swapped back to stock. I was a bit taken aback when the coil was over 30 bucks but I wanted the real stern coil.
As per our texts I have switched back to the original bracket and am cleaning up the dirty coil stop, hammered out any magmetism and I spray painted some white paint to the bottom so I can properly mark it as the tech alert replacement.
Old one seems to be making the garage work fine.
A weekend of playtesting will see if it continues to be a problem

Love this site and all the great help. If in the future I decide to purge Nascar I would be more than happy to sell it back to Fifty at cost.
Not in this pin for profit, in it for play.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Glad you are working things out. If I sound hostile in my posts please know that I'm not trying to be. I am trying to come across as frustrated, frustrated by the gremlins that appeared in this pin for you.

I was happy with this pin. If I'm ever permitted 3 in the house I would look to get another one.