• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Sytem 80b 20 digit display issue

dheart

Feb 3, 2013
Brantford, Ontario
Trying to get a 1986 Genesis working no display, trace for the 32vac was lifted pin 3, repaired now the 32v fuse has blown, can any one help with these old Futaba displays, Like next steps or display is toast? Or replacement?
Thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Make sure you do all your connector removal and replacement with the power off, or you will blow stuff up.

There is clearly a short somewhere, and it could very well be in the display itself. If you can, replace the blown fuse, disconnect the display and power it up. If the fuse blows again the issue is not on the display board, and will help you narrow where to look. If it doesn't blow the fuse, then you know the issue is on the display PCB itself and you can begin to look at components on that PCB.

D

dheart

Feb 3, 2013
Brantford, Ontario
Yes the fuse only blows when the display pcb is plugged in, so a short it is, do you know what components to suspect or replace, and is there any way to test the glass display itself for a short?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Well, where this display is more than just the glass it would be best to try and get a schematic and check to see what all is in the power supply section of the circuit to see if there is anything that could potentially cause the short. I don't have one of these handy so I cannot comment on what to check off the top of my head. It is not uncommon to hear of glass displays developing a short internally though, so it could be one of the displays itself...

D

dheart

Feb 3, 2013
Brantford, Ontario
Works!!!!
Replaced the caps, and all four diodes.
One filament wire is bad, so couple digits dead, does anyone have just the tubes the one i have has the nipple on the side.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yikes... If Steve doesn't have them you'll have to watch for games being parted out I'm afraid as I don't know of any other source for GTB parts.

D