• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TAF error (fixed)

Adam

Nov 5, 2015
waterloo, on
Hey guys.

2 issues today with TAF.

-getting random points awarded when flippers are activated. (1100ish points)

-check switch 56 bookcase opto 4 error

I'm just such a noob with this stuff I have no clue what to look for

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Not sure on the game specific stuff, but a couple of general thoughts:

-If you're getting random points with the flippers, is it just the vibration causing a switch to close? Is it one side vs another that seems worse? Start a game with the glass off, and try to shake the machine a bit, or press on the PF-does something trigger?
-You could also just fire up the game in test, go to the switch tests, and see if hitting the flippers closes anything else that you're not supposed to. The switch edge test should show you all of the closed switches, and when you press the flipper you should just see the flipper button and EOS switch (I think). If there's a target going at that point, then there's your culprit.
-The bookcase opto error is probably just a position switch on the bookcase mech. If there's a specific test for it, see if the switch registers in test. Could be a bad opto, or could be something like a wire broken off or loose connector.

Have you got a manual for the game? If not, check IPDB for one-having the schematics for those mechs is handy for figuring out where the switches are, and how things go together/come apart if it comes to that.

Good luck!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
As Chris mentioned, random points being scored with flippers is 99% just a switch that is gapped too close or an opto isn't lined up perfectly, so vibrations caused by flippers will trigger the switch. Put into switch test mode and flip the flippers and watch the matrix to see if any switches besides the flippers trigger, and then diagnose.

While you're in switch test, trigger all of the bookcase opto's with your finger and make sure they all work as they should... specifically the one being thrown in the error.

D

Adam

Nov 5, 2015
waterloo, on
Had some time after work this morning to have a look. Was just a dirty opto as I wiped it off and it worked fine. Looked at the matrix as suggested during the switch test and the left sling needed adjustment.

Thanks so much for the help guys... Really appreciate it. You guys on this forum are awesome

Cheers

ADAM

Reactions: Menace