• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TAF flipper problems

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Rebuilding the flippers on TAF from the recent container. All flippers working before...yet very weak and had lots of give...needed a rebuild.

I rebuilt the bottom right flipper with no problems, works well. Bottom left however, another story. Will not fire at all. Thought it may be a faulty coil, so I put the old coil back in, and still no flip. Had a picture of how it was wired up, and followed it exactly. Coil will not fire in test. Upper left mini flipper still flips as well as all other flippers.

On my way out of the house...still have some poking to do, maybe someone can point in the right direction? Probably (hopefully) something stupid.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Check your EOS, if it's not gaped properly that could be your problem.

I think on Williams they are always open, so if the switch is closed your flippers will never get high power.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I hate to start off with the obvious but...

I'm assuming you've checked the fuse?
And, that you havent installed the coil the other way around but kept the wires as they were?

The next step would be to ground out the TIP that drives that coil and see if it fires that way. Then you can isolate the issue to before the board.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Did you check with your meter and coin door closed there is power at the coil? If there is power then you can actually short out the ground lug at the coil using some gator clips and see if it will fire. Also don't forget to check the fuse as Drano suggested.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
Did you check with your meter and coin door closed there is power at the coil? If there is power then you can actually short out the ground lug at the coil using some gator clips and see if it will fire. Also don't forget to check the fuse as Drano suggested.

If this works, you can do the same at the TIP on the board that drives the coil. This would further eliminate the problem being between the board and coil... or a power issue.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Everything is up and running knock on wood. All signs point to a bad PBLife coil, which shorted out the whole operation of the flipper in question. I'm almost positive the coil came in faulty condition, as I replaced all three of the other coils with no issue, simply a direct "plug and play".