• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The History of Apogee & 3D Realms

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I remember my very first PC online multi-player game in the early 90's. Duke Nukem. I had to dial the phone to my buds house down the road, he answered through his game and it somehow logged on and we ran around the levels killing each other. I was running a Intel 166mhz and Monster Voodoo 4mb (which I still have). I was sold on PC gaming after I played Quake 1 with SDFX graphics. I still love the eye candy of superb graphics on today's PC games. I never was much into console after PC gaming got good (save for the C64).
Damn, I feel old now.

Wong, do you have a "nostalgia" thread? I am having flashbacks.....

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Wong, do you have a "nostalgia" thread? I am having flashbacks.....

Every night my friend had to remember to turn the ringers off on all the phones in his house in case he wanted to act as the host a game. I never had this problem as I had 3 dedicated lines running war dialers and scanning for PBXs.

250px-Doom_cover_art.jpg

My first online multiplayer experience was a shareware version of Doom. I spent countless hours of my childhood playing co-op to finishing the first campaign over and over again before a pirated copy of the full game was released months later. This was played on my awesome 486 DX50 back in '93 and I remembered the debates my friends and I use to have about how their DX2/66 was faster then mine. I told him technically mine was faster my front side bus was 50Mhz where was theirs was 33Mhz x 2 to make up his 66Mhz clock speed.

Other great games that followed after this was Doom ][, Herectic, Hexen, Descent, Descent II, Rise of the Triad, Duke 3D, Quake 1-3, Unreal Tournament. After played all these FPS type games I moved onto playing RTS games online and StarCraft probably sucked a good 4-5 years outta my life during university.

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Brings back good memories. I remember when I upgraded my modem from a 300 "bauds" per second to a US Robotics 1200 bps. It felt so fast!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Brings back good memories. I remember when I upgraded my modem from a 300 "bauds" per second to a US Robotics 1200 bps. It felt so fast!

Here is another nostalgic moment

lefty_2.jpg

Remember the secret password KENSENTME :p

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Were you into the "warez" BBS scene back in the day too?

Where else did you get PC games in the early 90s :) Much more selection than trading floppies with friends like we had to before then in the C64 days. I can't remember most of the ones I was on, but I think there was one called the Frat House, and another called the Screwy Gecko that were always solid. PC-wise I was playing most of the Sierra/Lucasarts adventure games, plus things like X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Wolfenstien/Doom of course, but I never got into competitive quake as much as my kid brother did. I swore off RTS after Dune 2-likewise Civ after Civ3 (a.k.a. "black tar heroin").