• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Chris Bardon said:
Of course more is going to come up on that game-it's a STTNG :) Has it had the tieback voltage mod done on it?

Ahh, the joys of owning a STTNG. I swear every second repair Clay does on his Pinball Ninja site is a STTNG. It's like dating girls from Woodbridge--fun to play around with for a while, but way too high maintenance in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
As it sits right now none of the tieback mods have been done. Like I said the drop target reset coil is completely missing right now so once I buy one of those I can do the three power cables to one on the coil lug mod. I was also thinking of running a parallel tieback from the drop target down relay to the aux 8 driver. I can do that one at any time. Are those the only mods that it needs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Over the last few days when I actually had some limited free time away from entertaining my kids during this March break I took the time to study the schematics from a Zaccaria Gen2 sound board (this board is from PBrev members Farfalla). The issue at hand was the board speech seemed to be working ok along with a couple of other sound effects, but for the most part there was little to no background music.

After a bit of time with my DMM and O-scope I managed to track down the two bad IC's causing the issue. Swapped them out with good ones from my sound board to confirm and the board is back to 100% functionality. Now I'm waiting for replacements to arrive before I can consider the repair complete.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
After a bit of time with my DMM and O-scope I managed to track down the two bad IC's causing the issue.

D

I think your next installment of the Menace Files should include a crash course on how to use one of these :D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
DRANO said:
Menace said:
After a bit of time with my DMM and O-scope I managed to track down the two bad IC's causing the issue.

D

I think your next installment of the Menace Files should include a crash course on how to use one of these :D

Using a scope unfortunately requires more than just how to use the device itself, but what to look for and how to interpret as you probe the PCB... which usually comes with years of schooling and field experience. :) And I'll be brutally honest that isn't something I'd be willing to teach, as I'd probably be REALLY bad at it!

The DMM isn't as bad, but as I've said before in the tools post if you've got a cheapie DMM the first step is getting a fluke. Once you've got that, it's just a matter of knowing what the symbols mean on the DMM (VAC/VDC/Resistance/Diode-Buzz etc) and when to use which setting. Those things are easy to teach, but the knowing what to look for when is the tough part and it's something people either get or don't. (I've found in most cases it cannot be taught, it's just a though process people possess)

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Well I heve another project lined up. Now that my virtual pinball is mostly done (just software left), it's time to think about the next thing to do. ....and this showed up as a text message from a friend.

"What are you doing with that old air hockey table that's been taking up space." Along with this pic.

Alchohocky. Sounds like fun. Basically it's Canadian beer pong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 259

DJdeadlyDALEK

Feb 12, 2014
Waterloo Region
I ordered a bobblehead Spidey lamp for my Gottlieb Spidey - gonna drill a hole in the top of the cabinet and plug it right into the service outlet inside once it arrives in the mail ;)

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
you do know that the service socket is always live , when the machine is plugged in . it does not turn off when you turn off the game from underneath

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Just so you know, it's not overly difficult to re-wire the service outlet so it's switched on and off with the game power. :D

D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Played a SW:EP1 the other day.

Thoughts: Im too tall for it. I was hunched over to see the screen and upper playfield.

Was very annoying to be honest. Anybody else have the same problem?

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I am 6'5" and have never seen the top part of an RFM or SWEP1. I just wait for the ball to come down.... Also the monitor angle seems weird for me too...