• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I am finally back from California from Christmas. I have not touched a pinball machine in more than 10 days.
My High Speed is going to a better home tomorrow morning early, and I have an EM and an SS to replace it.
Sounds like lots happened while I was away, so I am looking forward to everyone's posts and updates soon.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, looks like I tackled my first EM repair... Well, almost.

My Centigrade 37 stopped registering 500 points on all unlit inserts and the thermometer in the back box would barely advance and never reset properly.
I just completed the full tear down of the basic stepper unit for the thermometer and it's super clean and lively. Should have no more issues there. Now, on to the mystery 500 point issue.

PhantomGirl_

Jan 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Replacing my POTO bumper brackets and star posts before adding my mirror blades (spacial thanks to Adriano)!! A small feat compared to some of you, but rookies must begin somewhere!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
PhantomGirl_ said:
Replacing my POTO bumper brackets and star posts before adding my mirror blades (spacial thanks to Adriano)!! A small feat compared to some of you, but rookies must begin somewhere!

Post some pics! ;)

I did a 5 pop rebuild on a TAF last night. SUCKY :x

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Oh I curse Pat for lots of other reasons on top of the amount of pop bumpers he likes to use. To be fair, GTB pops suck too. Are the new Stern pops the same as the DE's were? If they are, that's a bonus.

D

PhantomGirl_

Jan 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
I took pictures buti can't post them until I get them small enough in size! The first one was a bit nerve racking, as my first "project" on the game, but the second one I really enjoyed doing. Now new bumper bodies and skirts! I'll post pictures once its done ;

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Nothing major, but a clean, wax and new flipper rubbers on tspp suddenly had me consistently hitting the left ramp. Missed knocking Monkeybug's kid off the machine by 600,000, my 2nd best game on it.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I brought another manual home tonight to study. I find myself working on the educational side of pin repair many nights now.
No fixing when you don't know what to do, and instead there is reading, learning and studying at least until you think you do.

Then, if you are not sure, ask advice anyway just so you you don't mess it up. It doesn't hurt, and the process is the fun journey.

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Hung out with Phantomgirl......she's pretty cool.... :cool:
We drove to Farmngton Hills to check out a HUO Frankenstein - quickly passed on that one. the guy had installed a fan in the head to cool the DMD?
We then drove to Roseville to meet an OP seller and his son. Bought a LOTR and Phantomgirl bought a SS! Fighting the urge not to go back and buy some more! :lol:
On the way home we stopped at a store called Big Toys....nice owner, let us play a bunch of machines for free as long as we want....prices high (3500$ BOP, 6200$ POTC), but very hospitable.
Now trying to decide if I should begin to attack my SWDE.......

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Finally got my El Dorado set up properly and had a few great games.
Also committed to a Gottlieb Volley. Getting it tomorrow.
I think my EM bug is done though.

Now onto to a Black Hole or a Banzai Run!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Who dares enter the Black Hole? :)

I spent my evening creating a BOM for pre-DCS speaker upgrade kits along with calculating what cap and coil I will require to make my own crossovers.

D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well, my 6 month warehouse plan will end 3 months early. Space was rented out longterm. Makes my (landlady) and I have to clear things out more quickly. Pins and especially vids for me, (size) and then a jeep, hovercraft and some cool cottage toys for her. (she has 15 years on me, and NO - her cool stuff is NOT for sale)

Time to shuffle everything again and sell a few things I really don't want to. Oh well, c'est la vie. GO!

I wanted to purge some things (I previously stated) and the universe has now provided me the opportunity to do so.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
At my sons insistence I finished hooking everything back up on RFM so he could play it. Lots of work to do on that machine still. Also fixed the magnet and single drop target on Shadow. Discovered I need a pivot nut to hold up the playfield on Shadow. And 3 ring bulbs. Guess I'll be doing another parts order. lol

Went to turn on Space Shuttle this morning and it didn't boot, so that will be today's challenge I think.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Good pinball weekend. Added to the collection, and got permission to re-arrange the basement to make room for more than 4! These things are like bunny rabbits - they multiply! Rearranging the basement - plan was to finish it yesterday. I guess when there's a sectional couch, a computer, more toys than I believe possible, bookshelves, an entertainment cabinet filled with equipment, and seven (7???) pins to move, it takes a bit longer than I thought. Maybe tonight....

Got together with some friends on Sunday, played a bit, talked a bit, lost a number of throwdowns. Got a bit tired of the come-from-behind victories in games I thought were mine. :)

Went over to F14 Dave's last night, as he was having an issue with...F14. Texted out a question, but was pleased that I had not only already diagnosed it but was in the middle of fixing it when the suggestions for how to do so came back. In fact, it cleaned up so well (kicker coil to put the ball in the trough) that it promptly broke the gate at the top of the trough. Guess it's been a while since it worked well.