• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tint film for LED displays

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Just wanted to share a small tip.
If you have ever purchased certain LED replacement displays... especially the numeric ones used in a lot of Bally/Stern games from the 80's, you might have something that looks a little different from stock.
Various providers such as Rottendog or any of the build-your-own options tend to use white coloured digit blocks that really stand out. You can see the stark white digit as well as the white sides in many cases.

If you're like me, this is not an ideal look and I've been hunting for an inexpensive and easy way to make these look a bit more authentic. In the past, I have purchased displays from suppliers sch as XPIN. They make a quality product and it already comes with a foam light guard around the perimiter, plus a tinted film overlay, but it also costs a lot more.

For anyone taking the budget route, here's a neat trick that won't cost too much; especially if you have a few games to do.

First, take some thick weather stripping and create a black box around the displays. Some of these suppliers already provide this. This will prevent you from seeing the edges of the white blocks through the score windows.

After that, get yourself some automotive tint film from Canadian tire. I paid just a little over $20 for an 20% tint film with adhesive. Cut them to roughy 6"x2" and just stick them over the displays/foam tape. It will form to the shape of the display and doesn't have to be perfectly flat. One roll should last you a lifetime ;)

It's an excellent effect since the light coming through does not get dimished all that much and the displays tend to look like original when turned off too.

In these images you can see the match/credit display on the left is as-is while the one on the right has received some foam tape and tint film.

20171025_222603.jpg

20171025_224432.jpg

IMG-20171025-WA0024.jpeg

Reactions: WARLOCK