• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TOP THREE PINS on your Wantlist!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
It is probably a well discussed topic, but one that, to my knowledge, has not been started on this site in its own thread.

Everyone is at different stages with their collection...some are near done, some are just starting out, some say they are done but are clearly not because they still keep buying! We all have a few machines on our radar that we would HAVE TO seriously consider buying if they became available, even at the expense of selling something else in the collection or spending a few weeks in the doghouse because we dipped into the family vacation savings account. Please list, discuss and/or justify the TOP THREE PINS on your radar that you don't currently own are MUST HAVES for your collection.

I could load up my list with a Medieval Madness and a Cactus Canyon, but realistically, I don’t think I’ll ever have the desire (nor nerve) to spend that much on one machine in the near future, so I will keep my top three list a little more realistic to my means. I guess it is nice to have pipe dreams, but I’m going to stick to machines within reach for "instant gratification".

I’m sure our local “enablers” will be watching this thread in order to turn these “Top Three Must Haves” into reality...so choose carefully...!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
The Top Three pins on my want list:

1) Demolition Man (done)
2) Johnny Mnemonic (done)
3) The Shadow (coming soon :twisted:)

What is funny is I have owned all these before and sold in favor of making room for a couple more desirable titles which I thought I wanted more such as CV, WH20, IJ, etc. If I had the space I wouldn't mind owning a CV again in the future as it looks nice next to JPOP's other games in my collection.

8488928057_eabb2d73b9_c.jpg

In terms of game play I enjoyed it the least of the trio which is why I ended up trading it towards a HUO SM with the other out of town party doing all the leg work while I watched :mrgreen:

10 pins in my current room is probably my comfortable limit but I could squeeze in an 11th if I had to and if I could add a 4th pin on my want list right now it would be a Judge Dredd (again another title I have owned before :FP: )

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
You forgot to list yours ;)

Well, I'm probably in the "Done" category and only at the stage where I am testing out the occasional title that I'm curious about, but likley won't keep it.
I got most of my keepers long ago and added a few new ones recently... so I'm past capacity already.

But, if I had to select 3 pins in my collection that I would keep above all else, hmmm:

The Addams Family: sentimental favorite for me, excellent modes and decent rules, best callouts and light show in pinball, great theme integration... just plain fun to play.

Medieval Madness: I know, I know... but it was my 3rd pin and I got it for a decent price by today's standard. Still the most overall fun game I own and it's not a push-over by any stretch. This game keeps me coming back for more. Great flowing ramp shots that return the ball back to the flipper super quick, great art and humour, one of the best toys in pinball, bash toys that actuallty make sense, did I mention the humour? I also like the games within the game. Mini wizard modes, other acheivements. Very well balanced game.

Tales of the Arabian Nights: Just recently got this pin after looking for ages. It will need a full restore, but I just love how unique this layout is, JPOP's creativity runs throughout. The game is spectacular to look at and the shots feel good. It gets knocked for being easy, but I will say that there are few games that create such a cool atmoshpere and mood. I thoroughly enjoy playing it every chance I get. And anytime a pin tells me I'm amazing over and over, it's gotta score some points!

Too many others to list, but some serious runners up would be White Water, The Shadow (now that I'm a convert) and Tron.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
3 pins on my "Want List" that I don't currently own??

1) Safecracker
-This game has been on my hit list for a long time.
2) Quick Silver
-I am confident I will be adding this one to my lineup before the end of the year, or early next year.
3) Spider Man (Stern) or POTC
-I enjoy both of these, but I personally have a difficult time shelling out the money they demand considering the build quality, which is probably why I don't have one yet.

There are others I would consider, but these ones have been on the radar for a while. The thing is, I'm not willing to over pay to get any of them. If and when these cross my path at a price I am comfortable paying for them, I'll consider it. (I missed out on a SC but I missed that one because of timing - damn separation lol)

D

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
I'm really looking hard for the right Taxi. I've been looking for a few months and there have been a couple that have surfaced but I'm not into paying a dreamer $2,400 for a Taxi beat to hell. :FP: So, my top 3 are:

TAXI at a price that matches condition
Last Action Hero
Johnny Mnemonic

Like Adam, I'd also like to add an AFM but can't stomach putting up the coin to buy one. If we were in 2010 or 2011 I would have an AFM by now but at $7 or $8K I'll keep waiting.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Yeah, I had to stew on mine for an hour or so...my top three must-haves in order of must-have-ness.

1) Creature from the Black Lagoon - As discussed in my TAF container thread, I played a lot of this game, and I want, nay, need to own one so it's tip-top of the top three. I know gameplay isn't for everyone, but it works for me. I did my undergrad in Film Studies, and focussed on trash/grindhouse/exploitation cinema, so the drive-in theme really speaks to me.
2) An Elvira game - EATPM or SS, either will do. Again the whole trash cinema thing is appealing. Would like to keep the Sys11 love burning with EATPM, however, SS is clearly the better game. Getting the SS jackpot where the machine goes bonkers is probably the best arcade experience I've ever had.
3) The Machine: Bride of Pinbot - So Pinbot doesn't get lonely. I love the unbalanced randomness of the game. Sort of like the unbalanced randomness of Python himself.

Recently axed Roadshow off the list after lusting over it for years...figures, I know of two that are now available locally. I based my list on games I knew I liked through playing them a ton, however, there are a few more DMDs that would probably make it onto the list, but I have not had a chance to play them all that much, if at all...Shadow, Demo Man, Congo, Judge Dredd. Won't lust over those until I get to play them more.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
spiroagnew said:
however, there are a few more DMDs that would probably make it onto the list, but I have not had a chance to play them all that much, if at all...Shadow, Demo Man, Congo, Judge Dredd. Won't lust over those until I get to play them more.

You are welcome to come any time to play 3 out of the 4 and hit up Roadshow too!

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
The Shadow - This game has been at the top of my list since I played it at the CPC and it kicked my ass! When I pull the trigger I want this to be the next game that comes into my house. Love the look, sound and gameplay. The upper loop is wicked.

Iron Man - Love the look, love the theme, and super fast gameplay. When I get my first Stern I'd like it to be this one or Tron.

T2 - When I was shopping for my first game this is the one that I really wanted to buy. Living way the hell up in Timmins however where there is no pinball to be had in the wild, I was in a bit of a hurry to get a game into the house so I opted for the first nice game I came across which was on my list.

At the point in my life I'm at right now, my budget and space are rather limited. Because of this, I'm hoping to build up a nice modest collection of 3 or 4 "bang for your buck" games to keep me and guests satisfied. With WCS94 being the only game in the house right now, I'd really like to make the next game that I bring home to be a mode based game to compliment it.

Don't want to derail this thread, but could anyone chime in on what a nice Shadow is going for these days? I'm not looking for collector quality, but a nice looking and playing game.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
bstock said:
Don't want to derail this thread, but could anyone chime in on what a nice Shadow is going for these days? I'm not looking for collector quality, but a nice looking and playing game.

"Someone" offered me 3K for mine, which was the one you played at the CPC, so that should give you a rough idea of what the game is worth.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Vengeance said:
bstock said:

"Someone" offered me 3K for mine, which was the one you played at the CPC, so that should give you a rough idea of what the game is worth.

Thanks, that pretty much what I figured.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Vengeance said:

No. That's Pinside logic. That's like saying if someone offered me $6k for my Iron Man and I didn't take it (I wouldn't), then that instantly means all Iron Man pins are now worth $6k.

If we follow that logic in the real world, then the dozen eggs I bought for $4 yesterday are now worth $10 because I said so. Any takers? They're still NIB if that helps. :) no? Didn't think so!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
No. That's Pinside logic. That's like saying if someone offered me $6k for my Iron Man and I didn't take it (I wouldn't), then that instantly means all Iron Man pins are now worth $6k.

If we follow that logic in the real world, then the dozen eggs I bought for $4 yesterday are now worth $10 because I said so. Any takers? They're still NIB if that helps. :) no? Didn't think so!

I didn't say "Someone offered me 3K for my Shadow, so that means ALL SHADOWS ARE NOW WORTH 3K AS I DECREE IT SO!"

I said it would give him a rough idea, it means a Shadow could be worth less, could be worth more depending on all the variables. A routed non working Shadow should be worth considerably less then 3K

But a fully restored Chris Hutchins Shadow would be worth more.

It's all relative

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
There are only two games that I don't currently own and must get. Until yesterday it was three :) Just added a Goldeneye and really looking forward to setting it up tonight. The other two:

Dirty Harry
I've been collecting since 1998 and I never gave this game a chance. The playfield isn't a great looker and the designer created some real duds. Those two things combined just turned me off to the game. Over the last 10+ years, I've pretty much owned every game I've wanted and am now more open to games I didn't try in the past. I played the game two years at the Ohio show and really gave it a chance. I was really surprised by how fun it is. I completely over looked this game and now want to add it to the collection. I played it last year at PAPA and played it again this year -- putting some real time on it and getting to know the rules. The rules are excellent and the layout is awesome. The side ramp is tough, but not impossible. Hoping to add one to the collection in the next year.

Tron
Wish I had bought the game at the first Ottawa show. They had a show special, but I just didn't have the cash at the time and still don't unless I sell something. My kids and I love the theme and the music. It's a simple fun game that can be brutal or, if you are in the zone, you can have a great game. Someday I will get one....

If money was no object, I'd add Xmen LE or Avengers LE to the list. I know they don't get alot of love. I really enjoy both games. I've put a ton of time on them and the prices for both are low relative to what they were new. I just cann't justify $5K+ for a pinball. If I did justify it, I would have to sell a few games and right now, I don't really want to sell anything other than my EMs and it will take alot of EMs to make up the price of one LE :)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I am in the Done category for the 2nd time around.

1st round was:

1) STTNG - have it - Thanks Chris Bardon and Menace for fixing her
2) Space Shuttle - have it - Thanks David. C (Yellowmustard)
3) Black Knight - have it - Thanks to my buddy Neil in the USA

I still have them all and they are not going anywhere. 15 months ago, I didn't have any of these.

2nd Round was:

1) Shadow - have it - Thanks Monkeybug
2) wh2o - have it - Thanks Brewmanager
3) c-37 - have it - Thanks MWong

I still have all of them and they are not going anywhere either. 6 months ago. I had none of them.

3rd Round will be:

I have no idea, but I don't think anyone really believes I am done done.
I suppose for now, I won't try to convince anyone of that just yet. lol
Including myself.

Whatever happens, it will be fun.

medvet

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Hmmm. That's a tough one for me as I have a few machines already and have owned a few over the last 8 years of collecting. Of games I have never owned but played, the list would be:

1. Big Bang Bar - I started collecting after the initial pre-orders were over and didn't pull the trigger when they were 10-12000. Now at $20,000 I doubt it but can always dream....
2. Jolly Park - had one arranged to ship from Spain but then life and a rising Euro got in the way
3. Buckaroo - I fell in love with this at a fellow collectors house in Allentown and will eventually find a nice one hopefully.

ME

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
me:

1. Derby Day...addicted to it at Pacific Pinball Museum
2. Pro Football...think I have this one covered now.
3. Nascar

The wife:

1. Champion Pub
2. World Cup Soccer 94

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
my wish list is in my signature
(figured that way someone that was selling may spot them)

1. Theatre of Magic - Played it at MWong's place when I first got into the hobby and fell in love with it's sheer beauty. Had a chance at a couple but missed them...

2. CV - Don't know if I'll end up keeping a bunch of JPop games but I'd love to own one of these. Had a shot at one a couple of times but like most of us, timing is everything!

3. Toss up here on STTNG or AC/DC Premium or the new ST- Played STTNG a couple of times and I wasn't sure I could deal with it's maintenance. Still not absolutely certain but I now have some friends that can help me when I need it! (thanks guys!)
ACDC intrigued me since I played it at Ballyboy (Dan's) place. Didn't think I'd like it that much but I guess I like getting my ass kicked more than I thought. I believe it would be a nice addition to my small collection.
May end up ordering a new ST when they launch. I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi themes and the idea of a new Steve Richie game is almost irresistible!