• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Transporting in F150

Pugster

Nov 7, 2019
Kelowna
Hi guys,

Pre-emptive question. Wondering if anyone with a Ford F-150 Supercrew (mines a 2014) has put a pin in their rear seat area with the seats folded up. It’s pretty cavernous back there, but wondering about clearance around the doors, etc. For reference it’ll probably be a Williams 1990s DMD or a 2000s Stern.

I’d toss it in the box but there’s a chance of rain, and it may be sitting in the truck for a few days before I drive it back home.

Anyone try it? I’ve downloaded the dimensions and will check with a tape when I get home tomorrow, but experience tells me that even if something “technically” fits, it’s way more useful to hear from someone who’s done it.

Thanks!

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
I usually wrap machines with those big rolls of cellophane that they sell for moving or packaging or whatever if the weather looks like it might turn bad. Put something under it as well so if water gets in the bed of your pickup it won’t be sitting in a puddle of water. I managed to get a machine back bone dry and intact from Allentown in a torrential downpour like that one year. Border guards were less impressed with my wrapping job, but it did the trick.

Pugster

Nov 7, 2019
Kelowna
I usually wrap machines with those big rolls of cellophane that they sell for moving or packaging or whatever if the weather looks like it might turn bad. Put something under it as well so if water gets in the bed of your pickup it won’t be sitting in a puddle of water. I managed to get a machine back bone dry and intact from Allentown in a torrential downpour like that one year. Border guards were less impressed with my wrapping job, but it did the trick.

This is exactly what I’m leaning towards now. 1000’ of plastic wrap per roll...if I can’t get it watertight with that I’m doing something wrong ;)

Reactions: goodmanners

goodmanners

Jun 17, 2014
Mississauga
The plastic wrap is a good idea.
I had a pin in the open back of my truck from Toronto to Edmonton - that's a 34 hour drive. It rained for about 20 hours on it. But it was plastic wrapped and came through fine.

Grab a roll of "Tuck Tape (red stuff)" or a roll of clear packing tape and use it to reinforce the plastic wrap so it doesn't tear off in the wind.
I wrap the cleat tape all around the pin and it helps avoid leaks due to wind tearing at the plastic wrap -

Good luck! Safe trip.