• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tumbler media recommendations?

Coitusmysterioso

Jan 13, 2017
Shelburne, Ontario
I'm going on a trip to the US shortly and will be picking up a tumbler while I am down there.

What media do you use for general cleaning of the under play field components?

Do most people use corn cob media for polishing?

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I've tried corn cob and the walnut. My preference is the corn cob as it doesn't discolour your parts. The walnut stuff is red and the red gets all over everything. I made the mistake of putting nylon lock nuts in the tumbler with walnut media and the nylon turned a rust colour even after a warm soapy bath.

Coitusmysterioso

Jan 13, 2017
Shelburne, Ontario
Yeah I've been reading a lot of reviews for the different walnut brands around and many have polishing additives that can leave a red or green film.

I read elsewhere to use the reptile bedding you can buy at pet stores because it is just plain walnut.

Do you think the walnut for media blasting would be too dusty?

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Ren's Pet Depot, a local pet store chain, carries corn cob pet bedding. It comes in a giant red and white paper bag the size of a large bag of dog food. It runs about $35. I believe you can special order the cob media from Petsmart, but it isn't a regular stock item at my local store.

I use this stuff with a cap of Flitz and a squirt of Novus in my tumbler--your parts will come out looking great. The cob media attracts a lot of dirt, so you'll get more mileage out of it by thoroughly cleaning the carbon and gunk off your parts first.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I use the walnut lizard/pet bedding. No additives so no colour changes to the parts. Flitz is also added. Something like a bottle or half bottle the first time around and then a cap-full or two every once in a while to keep it going. Us a good ultrasonic cleaner or just wash your metal parts before tumbling. This will extend the life of your media.

Generally, the walnut is tougher than the corn cobb so it is used for faster/deeper polishing. For those with the luxury of having two tumblers or two tubs they can swap, corn can add an additional and final level of finer polishing.

For really nasty metal, I also have the little ceramic pyramids. They can be used wet or dry and can create a lot of dust... but they deal with extra rough/rusty stuff well... assuming that you've already used Evaporust or some similar rust removal bath.

Coitusmysterioso

Jan 13, 2017
Shelburne, Ontario
Thanks Drano

That's exactly the info I was looking for.

I use the walnut lizard/pet bedding. No additives so no colour changes to the parts. Flitz is also added. Something like a bottle or half bottle the first time around and then a cap-full or two every once in a while to keep it going. Us a good ultrasonic cleaner or just wash your metal parts before tumbling. This will extend the life of your media.

Generally, the walnut is tougher than the corn cobb so it is used for faster/deeper polishing. For those with the luxury of having two tumblers or two tubs they can swap, corn can add an additional and final level of finer polishing.

For really nasty metal, I also have the little ceramic pyramids. They can be used wet or dry and can create a lot of dust... but they deal with extra rough/rusty stuff well... assuming that you've already used Evaporust or some similar rust removal bath.