• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

A sad day for me collecting vinyl records

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I remember there are a couple other vinyl collectors on this site so I figured I'd share my story here.

My boss was moving and knew I collected vinyl records (currently smallish at just over 1000) so he asked if I wanted a couple crates of them. I said sure and went by his place today to pick them up. When I got there he said he tossed a couple out because they were in a box that got wet and I said no problem then loaded up the remaining couple hundred records he had. I knew he liked classic rock so I figured there would be some albums in there I would like. As I was driving home they smelled really badly and when I went to put them in my garage I noticed quite a few of them were moldy. I decided to put them out back so I could go through them. As I'm looking through them I find basically every quintessential classic rock album you could want. All the Zeppelins, The Doors, The Beatles, Pink Floyds, etc. As I'm pulling them out I notice every one of them is ruined.... Every single one. There is about 3 inches of mold on every record! Nooooo!. I've started pulling some of them out of the case to try and salvage the records with a good cleaning but every case is garbage :( . To me most of the joy in having records is sifting through the album art and pulling the records out to listen to. If I don't feel like doing that I'd simply listen to my phone which has thousands of songs. So it's a sad day for me pulling out the records from the Beatles White album and just tossing the case in the garbage. Just thought I'd share.

8HrYjxvl.jpg

IWQPVhzl.jpg

oBff27Bl.jpg

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
I have a very nice record collection everthing from zeppelin to acdc to the iron maiden records with the eddy pictures right on the vinyl . It anyone is interested I'd trade them towards a pinball machine. PM me for details. Sorry to thread jack but the title reminded me.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
tim.sanderson said:
It's been a while since I was infected by the vinyl bug, but this is still painful to see.
That sucks.
It's been a couple years since I've gotten any new records myself. I guess that's part of the reason it was such a bummer. When I was picking them up there was the excitement of finally getting some new ones to sort through and picking out the gems. I could see a bunch of the ones I have wanted and knew I didn't have them in my collection. The problem is I didn't know that I really wanted new records until I almost had new records haha. Now I have to go searching again.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
That has always been a fear of mine with my collection. (even though mine is predominantly wax that I used while I was a pro club jock) Sad to see all the sleeve's ruined on so many classics, but the I'm thinking the records themselves can be salvaged.

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
spiroagnew said:
Man, that sucks.

Any Zappa? I'll take'em moldy or not...
There is. I haven't finished going through them all yet but I found sheik yerbouti. I already have a good copy of it so you can have it if you want it.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I finished going through them tonight and it's just the one. If you want some there are probably a whole bunch of moldy records you can have :p.

7d3a12cd93bac466488e6e8bc0ad9427.jpg

1b7424756cac8ead559950e468bb9bbc.jpg

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
3 inches of mould sounds more like his sewer backed up into his basement. It's a shame they were ruined. Wash your hands.