• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Anyone have experience getting rid of raccoons?

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So this afternoon, Katie was playing out back when she came running back in saying that she saw a raccoon in the deck box we have to keep patio chair cushions in. Sure enough, this is what we found when we took another look inside (so understandable that she was freaked out):
WP_20150425_002.jpg

What you can't see in that picture is that the big female is attached to four or five babies. Now, I don't really care too much as long as they're outside of the house, and don't do things like get stuck in the chimney and die (happened in one of our student houses back in Waterloo), but I'd also rather not have one of the kids get too close (or between the mother and the babies) and get bitten. Anyone know of a good removal company in the Mississauga area? I found a bunch online, but I don't know anyone locally who's used one recently.
Might also see if I can get something to get rid of them myself (other than just dragging them out box and all and dumping them somewhere). Not sure if they chewed through the side of the box or not yet (probably).

slacker

Nov 15, 2012
Hamilton Ontario
Hey Chris, if you want her to move take a old towel and soak it in Bleach and put it in the deck box. Problem is this will damage the cushions if you get it on them. Most likely she will go out at night and you could do it then after taking them out.
Raccoons have such a sensitive Nose she will take the baby's and Move and not come back.
I friend of mine use to run a animal reserve and that's how she would tell people to get them to move out from under a deck or shed.
Good luck
J..

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
It is illegal to do anything but encourage mama to move the kids on her own. (That's what professional pest guys do, and the SPCA or Humane Society won't come for anything unless they are hurt or you are in danger.) She'll move to the neighbours then carry the young over one by one. I found that shining a bright light and playing music near them 24 / 7 does the trick, but in a hurry, they hate the smell of ammonia soaked rags.

You're lucky they are in a deck box. You could simply lock her in and carry the deck box off to the yard and dump it (or do the "move along" routine). Your cushions are toast anyway, racoons shit where they sleep.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Ended up just putting some rags soaked in bleach out there and leaving the lid open yesterday morning. By the afternoon, mom and half the babies were gone, and today they appear to have vacated completely. Glad they didn't put up a fight-I really didn't want one of the kids to get bitten.