• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

bubble hockey vs air hockey

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
Looking for some thoughts on this topic, as I am very close to purchasing one of these (Mike, don't kill me lol). Both would be commercial quality (Dynamo for air hockey, super chexx for bubble hockey), and I've been considering a bunch of factors. Basically, I like having variety in the gameroom and as of now have: dedicated home theatre, 2 player MAME, 2 pins......but I am missing a game that is interactive with guests. Sure people do play the pins and the MAME, but I wanted to add something that was really a 2 player, head to head game. I used to have bubble hockey and loved it, but found that I was getting really good at it, and that many of my friends didn't really want to play against me anymore. Also, I have a wife and young daughter who might find it easier to play air hockey over the more complicated bubble hockey. I need some advice :D! I grew up with Chexx and love to play it, but think that air hockey while simpler, could be fun too, and it might be more accessible to a wider range of ages/genders when guests come over. any thoughts greatly appreciated (except for you mwong, I know what you think lol!)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Only concern with air hockey would be the pucks going airborne and flying into something else-at least with a Chexx everything is contained. You could also play 4 people on a chexx a little easier than an air hockey table. Still, that being said, I think air hockey is more fun.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I only really enjoy air hockey on a large full sized table, that said, I really like it. Fun fast paced action, if it's not a challenge, then just have a couple more beer. It's also accessable to a wide range of players.

But if you wanted diversity in your games room, then for the same square footage I'd get bubble hockey and foose ball.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Elliot if you really have to get something I would suggest getting a foosball table but make sure it is not a costco or big box store version. It has to either a Fabi or Roberto because you need to hear that metal clunk or thud sound when you score a goal! They can be had for well under $1000 brand new and sometimes you might get lucky and find a used mint one for $450-500 that someone has been using to dry their laundry :lol:

The nice thing about foosball is it can be played by 2 or up to 4 players at once whereas bubble hockey is 1 on 1. They are more moving parts on a bubble hockey table and I think someone mentioned it on pinside but you could have stripped or worn gears where as good quality foosball tables are very low maintenance.

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
Awesome feedback thanks guys :) Lots of great points and advice. Space is definitely a big factor here, and air hockey would surely take up the most real estate. A big concern is that I want whatever I get to be accessible to as many ppl as possible, and I wouldn't want anyone to be intimidated to play, which can sometimes happen with super chexx. Ah well, I'll make my decision soon and thanks again for all the advice :)

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
You will find for the first couple weeks they will get used then almost never. The problem is having enough friends that want to play often enough. It just never happens. It will just take up space and eventually only being played once a month if that.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
CHEXX... the kids will grow into it :)

Elliot,
I have a non commercial version that I want to sell if you're interested.
No bubble dome, but it has the electronics and real glass boards. $250 and it's still NIB.
We moved before I could set it up and now don't have a spot for it.

Could be a less expensive way to test out if it works for you.

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
DRANO said:
CHEXX... the kids will grow into it :)

Elliot,
I have a non commercial version that I want to sell if you're interested.
No bubble dome, but it has the electronics and real glass boards. $250 and it's still NIB.
We moved before I could set it up and now don't have a spot for it.

Could be a less expensive way to test out if it works for you.

Thanks Adriano, I really do appreciate the offer. I've had a chexx before and sold it due to space (in the old house), but if I were to get a rod hockey game again, I'm pretty stuck on a chexx. I loved it and would look at it as an investment for me and the kids hopefully playing more and more as they grow up. Also, that 'Boo' button is irreplaceable! :D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Knowing your basement EJ, there would be lots of help to get a real Air hockey table down there.
If you ever want to get a Dynamo or something out of there, ah, sell the house with it there. lol

Sounds like CHEXX for the win...

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
Lol! You're absolutely right Scott. The more I think about it, there are way more negatives for air hockey than positives, at least for my situation. Looks like its a chexx in the end!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
My kids just finished watching all of season 1 this morning... Seems I've created a monster by plunking 5 seasons on my NAS.

You know who else is a slippery slope??? MY MOM! (watch the show to get the joke)

D

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
I plan on doing a marathon watching this show either this weekend or next