• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Fast Food Burgers

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Is it just me or does 5 GUYS have the best fast food burger around? what re you 3 favorite fast food burgers? Mine are....

1. 5 GUYS
2. Licks
3. A&W

Harveys gets my vote for the worst...compressed junk.

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Wendys is the best of the drive thru garbage.

Otherwise I'm happy with most bacon cheeseburgers made in sit down restaurants...no condiments allowed on my bacon cheeseburgers :)

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
As far as the chains go, I'd say my singular 5 guys experience put them at the top of the taste heap, but with a couple of caveats. I found 5 guys to be very expensive for what it is. It has the feel of a cheap, bare-bones, self-serve kinda place ( didn't invest a lot on decor, that's for sure ) but the prices were about 1.5 X what I'd spend at Licks and 2X what I'd spend at Wendy's or wherever. As far as the burger itself, I have had at least a dozen better tasting burgers at smaller 'one offs', most recent in memory was Woody's Burgers at Lakeshore and Brown's Line.

I used to really like Lick's but they did two things which most places do eventually : 1) They changed their burger "formula" ( this happened a long time ago...burgers became less garlicy which I found made them less enjoyable ) and 2) they jacked their prices. I can understand the price increase since food prices seem to be spiralling out of control in the last few years, but after changing the way their burgers taste, I find myself eating there about once a year just to see if the "magic" has come back.

Lately, I have resorted to making my own kick-ass burgers. Sometimes ( correction, MOST of the time ) I'm not in the mood to pay $12 - $15 for a burger and fries, so have a night every week or two where you make the biggest, kick-ass burger you can....blue-cheese, mushroom, zucchini, jalepeno,salsa goodness ! Oh yeah....

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, there's basically the "fast food" places, and then separate from them are the gourmet type burger places.

In my neighbourhood I have a South St Burger, as well as Gourmet Burger Company, for the high end ones... South St I don't care for, not enough burger to bun ratio.

Gourmet Burger Co I liked, but I've only eaten there once... I did get a lamb burger which was quite tasty.

I've eaten at 5 guys once, and it was quite good too, I would eat there again. Prices are high, I would not take my kids for a family meal, that would be a waste of money.

for the regular fast food joints, Wendy's is best. Although I eat more mcdonalds than anything just for convenience and locations.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
ill have to try out those 5 Guys burger....I didn't even know till now we had one in Laval (and only 10 min from my place! )

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
5 guys? Licks? Never heard of em.

In Peterborough I enjoy going and having a nice burger and fries at Apollo Burger. Mmmm.
A&W is second for me but likely because of the root beer.

i rate all the burger placez like this"
McDonalds, 35min and I have to shit....really bad.
Burger King, 1 hour shit time.
Wendy's - inconsistent times but still gonna happen
Harveys - regular

mike

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
as far as "fast food" goes (no licks or other "high end" joints)...

I gotta say DQ has the best burger.

Only problem is finding one. There is a Wendys or Mikey D's on every corner....DQ, not so much.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
When passing thru Toronto, get off the 401 on Markham Rd and go south. On the northeast corner of Brimorton and Markham is an old school greasy spoon called the Real McCoy.

You want to order their home burger.

It is, hands down, the absolute best burger I've ever had anywhere.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
hurricane said:
Without a doubt - Hiscock's. Too bad you have to go to Grand Falls NF to get one...........

Good news ! I just read that Lick's is opening up a franchise in Newfoundland and is partnering up with Hiscock's.

So, locals can soon look forward to dining at Licks Hiscock's !

:p :p :p

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I have never tried Hero Certified Burgers but they are going to be opening one 2 minutes down the street from my house. I never timed how long before I gotta take a dump after I have a McDouble but can't beat $1.39 everyday value menu :)

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
g-man said:
hurricane said:
Without a doubt - Hiscock's. Too bad you have to go to Grand Falls NF to get one...........

Good news ! I just read that Lick's is opening up a franchise in Newfoundland and is partnering up with Hiscock's.

So, locals can soon look forward to dining at Licks Hiscock's !

:p :p :p

Holy crap, Thants friggin funny. Laughing my ars off. he he.
Sounds more like a sausage and burger joint.

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
Yonge and steeled, Goldenstar. Been aroud for over 50 years and run by the same family. Get the homemade all star burger. Unbelievable.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
EJB said:
Yonge and steeled, Goldenstar. Been aroud for over 50 years and run by the same family. Get the homemade all star burger. Unbelievable.

Oh yeah, how could I forget about Golden Star " I've known that place since I was 10 years old.

That and the Steer Inn in Richmond Hill on Yonge St. just south of Major Mack.

If I was rich and could take my Lear jet anywhere for a burger, I'd head back to Zion National Park in Utah. Probably THE best burger I've ever had. The stunning scenary certainly didn't hurt either. Believe it was called the "Murder Burger". Thought I'd include a pic of the wife unhinging her jaw on one.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
I skip the fast food burgers and make my own with 50% ground beef and 50% lean ground pork. Add an egg, some bread crumbs, PC Gourmet BBQ sauce, worchestershire and spices as needed. I find Kardish here in Ottawa has the best steak spice so I add some of that to the meat. The pork keeps the patty real juicy.

If you want something different make a bacon cheeseburger, fry and egg and add cream cheese. It's my breakfast burger. Sounds gross but it's sensational. I eat salad for a week after having one or two of those. :lol: