• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Genie woes...close but no cigar

Pinballed-lite

Nov 21, 2012
Repinned connectors. has the replacement power supply and cpu and I'm STILL getting weirdness.

I had a copy of the manual somebody sent me and I reformatted my laptop and lost it. Does anybody have a copy they could email me?

the rundown..

I had originally bought the replacement cpu that was from the run of bad/shit ones. That blew my displays. I have three of the four left working but theyre all not like they used to be and I recharged what I could. In that process something weird happened. Initially I had this thing playing but I couldn't get the 10 points to score on anything. SO I replaced the transistor/diode whatever the heck it is( been a few months since Ive been really in there) under the pf at the back and ever since I don't know what the hell happened but heres what I'm left with...

power up and the top right kicker, outhole and knocker fire and lock. game whistles and sounds kinds annoyed...lol. that's as far as shell go like that. Otherwise the solenoid fuse blows, as it should with the locked on section.

IF I remove that fuse I can boot, start a game...cant actually PLAY one, but she'll score and play with flippers working I THINK pops although I cant remember. All I know is ALL solenoids and flippers were working prior to this weirdness. I used to be able to play a game with everything working except the ten points anywhere.

Any ideas? and a manual copy scan maybe pretty please? Ill gladly buy a hard copy if we can meet but I don't do internet banking anymore.

Thanks!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If coils are locking on thats a sign of bad transistors. I'm not familiar with Genie so not sure if the coils that are locking on are driven from the MPU directly or from under PF mounted transistors. You need to locate the transistors that control each of those coils and verify the transistors are still ok with a DMM. If these are under PF mounted transistors they may also require the pull up resistor mod for each one.

Beyond that, all I can ask is if the game was playing (minus the 10pt) after you re-pinned all of the connectors? Have all of the ground mods been done as well? (if the ground mods haven't been done these are a MUST)

D

Pinballed-lite

Nov 21, 2012
I think I screwed up replying so again...

yes, ground mods are done.
I'm just going to get a new wiring harness. I think the repinning just isn't cutting it. Its all the classis signs of system 1 battery corrosion still in effect. That would be the classic knocker, outhole and usually a thing or two added firing etc.

Game prior worked fine and I actually do recall getting that ten points to score at some point

Pinballed-lite

Nov 21, 2012
ok, got the switch, as for the rest if what I have here aint workin...its the wiring harness probably not getting ground to that trace and those solenoids are firing and don't know not to. OR...I read the row of diodes at the bottom of the niwumph cpu can fry if there were shorts etc. Last thing I wanna do is hack up a perfectly good cpu if its the wiring harness ultimately, which my hunch leans towards it being.

So...who sells them? Assuming Steve Kulpa of whatever his handle is...but anyone in Canada?