• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

How to Build a Pinball Camera Tripod

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If you ever wanted to build a pinball tripod camera so that you could take over head video of you playing, this is how I built my setup that I use at the Launch Parties and tournaments.

I started with a concrete block base

IMG204.jpg

I attached a piece of conduit pipe to the base to add stability as I found the pipe would try and lean forward when inserted into the hole. The concrete block is a decking stone, I think, it is meant for holding 4x4 pieces of wood for deck posts that are above ground. The hole in the middle is perfect for conduit pipe.

The pipe is secured to the block with concrete screws

IMG205.jpg

At home depot you can find I think it is 12 ft Conduit pipe, it is a hollow pipe that is used for running wires through. I cut mine down to about 10 feet and then used the spare bit for the anchor piece you see attached.

The U clamp is how I attach the anchor.

IMG206.jpg

This is what provides the stability and prevents the tripod from tipping over

IMG207.jpg

Next in the plumbing section you will find iron pipe, it is used for old plumbing drains and what not. It’s also the same type of pipe you use when you want to use pipe clamps. Make sure you get threaded pipe, it will be threaded on both ends, but I cut one side off to size.

IMG208.jpg

The pipe clamps on one side are how you attach it to the vertical pole sticking out of the concrete block. But don’t forget about the threaded end as that is important.

IMG209.jpg

That was unfortunately one thing I couldn't get a picture of, I seemed to have misplaced the tripod mount somewhere in my house, I have to go look for it, once I find it I will take a picture. But in the same section that you get the steel pipe from there is a threaded cap that you need. You take that threaded cap and you drill a hole in the middle of it. Then I used a small screw and that is how I mounted the tripod portion for the video camera onto the pipe.

End of the day you should have something like this with the camera mounted

IMG210.jpg

IMG211.jpg

IMG212.jpg

And that is how I built my tripod setup. Everything to build the tripod can be picked up at home depot, other than obviously the video camera and tripod mount.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully we will see more pinball commentary and game tutorials from you in the future. I wonder what PAPA or Bowen tripod setup looks like for their videos.

Thanks for sharing Adam and damn your tripod is as tall as Optimus Prime :lol:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
mwong168 said:
Hopefully we will see more pinball commentary and game tutorials from you in the future. I wonder what PAPA or Bowen tripod setup looks like for their videos.

Thanks for sharing Adam and damn your tripod is as tall as Optimus Prime :lol:

There's is a very professional one, it completely steel, has a steel base on casters and steel poles.

It's all custom built and works perfectly for what they use it for, but isn't very portable.

What I like about mine is that:

A) It's simple to build, anyone can do it and you can find the materials from your local homed depot

B) It's portable, so I can drag it around to where ever I need it.

I've got video from the Canadian Pinball Challenge that I have to edit and then do commentary over, but seeing as I've never done any video editing, I'm not confident in my ability to produce a quality product.

But yea Bowen and Mark will have some more stuff for me to commentate on eventually.

Actually, Optimus is still about 2ft taller :p It's just the perspective of the picture since the tripod is closer.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
The Optimus Prime made me LOL :D

Thanks for sharing these instructions, Adam.. very cool. Maybe we'll see this kinda thing more often during in-home tournaments in the future. It adds a neat perspective