• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Import game keeps switching back to German

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
Need some advise here please,

My party zone keeps resetting back to german when powered off and back on,
batteries are new, and there are no jumpers on the cpu board as its a wpc 89 board so i think i need to cut resistors W15 to W18 and the machine will default to USA2 which is more easy and safe to do. i got this info from http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_wpc_country_settings.html

Just want to confirm, has anyone else done this before?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
W15 and w18 are jumpers actually, they are zero ohm resistors. If w15 and 18 are the only jumpers installed, cut them open and you should be good to go.

D

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
Menace said:
W15 and w18 are jumpers actually, they are zero ohm resistors. If w15 and 18 are the only jumpers installed, cut them open and you should be good to go.

D

After cutting the resistors, the game boots up in english but does not retain any settings in memory. Too be honest I did not catch this when it was in german. Batteries are fresh so my next steps are to measure the voltage on the battery holder, inspect holder and then possibly replace the ram chip at U24. I read that they seem to die if touched to much.. Static electricity as a cause?

Anyhow other item to mention is that in attract mode, after 3 minutes it will produce the startup bong sound and show the beginning boot message, but the game itself does not reboot.

Thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, you'll have to verify the battery voltage is getting to the RAM to retain the settings, hopefully it's just the battery holder that is the issue and you're not into PCB work.

Disregard my suggestions about the DMD, total brain fart... For some reason thought we were talking about a TFTC! LOL!

I'll have to think about the reset issue some more and get back to you.

D

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
Menace said:
Yeah, you'll have to verify the battery voltage is getting to the RAM to retain the settings, hopefully it's just the battery holder that is the issue and you're not into PCB work.

Disregard my suggestions about the DMD, total brain fart... For some reason thought we were talking about a TFTC! LOL!

I'll have to think about the reset issue some more and get back to you.

D

Update:
I socketed and installed the ram at U24 and my solids lines on the DMD are now gone.
Battery holder looks good, but Yes the battery holder is faulty. It looks fine and i reflowed the soldered connections, but no reading past, .48 volts.
So i will remove the cpu board and review the back and possibly install a remote battery holder next.

Thanks