• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

It's that time of year again...

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Kids are signed up for skiing lessons with Brewmanager's daughter.

My injuries from last year are healed, so time to hit the slopes.
Sundays with Walt and our kids FTW!

Collingwood @ Blue with Wong anytime I can escape!

It isn't Alberta, BC, or QC for skiing, but I will take what
I can get in Ontario for slopes and snow!

That doesn't mean a good South Carolina golf trip, Florida
kids trip, or some other Carribean destination are not in
order at some point, but I love the snow!

Keeps the population low in Canada too. Woo hoo!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:

Once Blue is open I take one day off (tue or wed or thur) till the end of the season. It's the only way to enjoy it otherwise Saturday is crowded and 20 minutes to get up for 20 secs to come down. If you also go during midweek starting at 4pm the groomers start on the south side by Waterfall and you can ride fresh corduroy all night long :mrgreen:

whistler-blackcomb-corduroy-416x555.jpg

I see Moonstone this year has something new called an "Edge" pass which basically permits you to only use it Mon-Fri for $99 before Nov 3 which doesn't seem bad. I might actually get that and my usual Blue 5x7 pass because I can't pass up stop by Dave Astill's every time on my way home. Scott anytime you wanna hit the slopes give me a call!

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
WARLOCK said:
Kids are signed up for skiing lessons with Brewmanager's daughter.

My injuries from last year are healed, so time to hit the slopes.
Sundays with Walt and our kids FTW!

Collingwood @ Blue with Wong anytime I can escape!!

Can't wait brother. The time of year between ball ending and skiing starting has always been my least favourite time of all.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
WARLOCK said:

It isn't Alberta, BC, or QC for skiing, but I will take what
I can get in Ontario for slopes and snow!

You're right it's not the the biggest hill around, but it's not bad considering how close it is. We have one little hill in Timmins, which is comparable to something like Chickopee in Kitchener. Not anything to write home about that's for sure.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
mwong168 said:
It's the only way to enjoy it otherwise Saturday is crowded and 20 minutes to get up for 20 secs to come down.

The last couple of times I went there it was completely out of control. It would be one thing if it was just busy, but the fact that it's 90% adults who look like they've never skied/snowboarded. Most of them can barely stand let alone ski, and the 15 man pile-up near the chairlift (top or bottom) was not uncommon to see either... :FP:

I just don't get it. It's like they've never seen snow or something? :cool:

Don't know if it's changed any more, as I haven't been there in a couple of years.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
bstock said:
I just don't get it. It's like they've never seen snow or something? :cool:

The problem I find when it is usually busy is when all these "noobs" are out carving these unpredictable or inconsiderate lines and literally using the whole width of the run. The simple solution to this is ride along the tree lines or by the lift support poles as they generally stay away from those parts. If you do go to blue avoid Happy Valley which seems to be where they usually all gather unless you want some target practice feed some of them snow as you pass :lol:

bstock said:
Don't know if it's changed any more, as I haven't been there in a couple of years.

I haven't been to Blue on a Saturday for many years now because of how stupid busy it is. If I really need my "fix" on the weekend I go for Sunday night because I know most people don't stick around since they have to drive back to the city and go to work the next day. I don't care how late I get home because I am usually up until 1-2am anyways so the lifts and runs start thinning out after 6pm. My preference for the past 10+ years has been midweek as there is hardly any line ups especially in the evenings when the schools are gone too. I usually get to the hill around 11am and ride non stop till about 7-8pm depending on when my friend taps out. I'm hoping to squeeze in a Tremblant or maybe even St. Anne's trip this winter even though the weather always sucked each time I went. I will never forget the one time I was at Tremblant with a group of friends and we were riding in minus 45 degrees. My eyes were watering during a run and blinked only to have my eye freeze shut and had some nasty frost bite too on the tip of my nose. Good times :cool:

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
mwong168 said:
If you do go to blue avoid Happy Valley

HAHA! Oh I forgot about that Jackpot... :FP: If I remember correctly part of this run is unavoidable if you are trying to work your way across the hill. Definitely know what you mean about riding the tree like or near the chair lift. A lot of these folks seem to check their blind spot and look left and right on the hill about as much as they do when they drive in that crazy thing you guys call the GTA!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
bstock said:
HAHA! Oh I forgot about that Jackpot... :FP: If I remember correctly part of this run is unavoidable if you are trying to work your way across the hill.

Only if you want to get to the North side where the more intermediate runs are which are pretty free of newbies by the way ;) Otherwise if I park in the Happy Valley lot I will come down Willy's which is pretty steep for the first drop and then becomes green. I have seen some Happy Valley warriors have some funny spills resulting in a the recreation of the rolling boulder scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark on this run from the chair lift :lol:

Looking forward to see what The Orchard expansion has to offer this season at Blue

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9DTgZWJ3ElE[/youtube]

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
mwong168 said:
I have seen some Happy Valley warriors have some funny spills resulting in a the recreation of the rolling boulder scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark on this run from the chair lift :lol:

Classic! We call it the "Yardsale". Hats, gloves, skis, poles, cameras and ipods scattered everywhere. Great entertainment.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
I can't wait for this ski season to get started.

Our family has already booked a trip to ski Mont Ste Anne and Le Massif this winter.

We have a ski hill 20 mins from downtown Ottawa called Camp Fortune with night skiing. Best way to unwind after a tough day is to get to the hill and carve some turns.

Scott - if you find yourself coming to Ottawa this year try to see if you can squeeze in a ski night. Or if you're here over a weekend there are other options too (Mont Ste Marie and if we feel like driving there's always Tremblant).

Think about it!

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Offer goes out to anyone........... Walt / Wong...... If any of you guys want to ski in the Ottawa area let me know and we'll set it up.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Thanks for the offer Lee,

Wong and Walt and I are all up for Tremblant or Mont Ste. Marie if timing works out we hope.

Torn tendon in my right ankle is slowly healing, and I figure ski boots should only help that!
Hopefully we can put a trip together this winter.

Scott