• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LCD Playfield

Oct 7, 2021
Nova Scotia
As I sit here with nothing to do but think, I am wondering aside from cost alone, why have we not seen an LCD playfield? Is the future of pinball going this way? I feel there is so much potential if the playfield could truly interact. Will Spike 3 systems allow for this option?

Also has anyone heard rumour of stern putting in possible cameras for online game play in realtime, or have the ability to play in tournaments from home? I feel if the ability to play in real time in tournaments at home would be an absolute game changer. Anyone have any rumours on any of this or is this just La La land for me lol..

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
As I sit here with nothing to do but think, I am wondering aside from cost alone, why have we not seen an LCD playfield? Is the future of pinball going this way? I feel there is so much potential if the playfield could truly interact.

You’re joking, right?

Multimorphic has been doing this since 2018 with their P3, complete with ball tracking on the LCD. Most ppl hate it without even trying it - trying to claim it’s a virtual pinball. Lol. . It’s pretty pathetic to see people’s lame assessments of the P3. It’s real pinball with dynamic artwork on the playfield.

Multimorphic.com

Reactions: luch
Oct 7, 2021
Nova Scotia
You’re joking, right?

Multimorphic has been doing this since 2018 with their P3, complete with ball tracking on the LCD. Most ppl hate it without even trying it - trying to claim it’s a virtual pinball. Lol. . It’s pretty pathetic to see people’s lame assessments of the P3. It’s real pinball with dynamic artwork on the playfield.

Multimorphic.com
No I don’t mean that. I also agree with a lot of people saying the p3 is lame. I’m talking a legit pin and instead of art on wood, we use an LCD screen with interactive abilities. I get Meta does do this in the lower portion of their pins but I'm talking the whole thing. I feel Meta lacks in a good pin but that's just my opinion. Id like to see the whole playfield done this way with the skill of building a solid pin form the bigger companies ( stern)

Last edited:

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
What you’re describing IS in fact what the P3 does. I should know ;)

What the P3 doesn’t have is an expensive IP/popular theme like JAWS though.

Oct 7, 2021
Nova Scotia
What you’re describing IS in fact what the P3 does. I should know ;)

What the P3 doesn’t have is an expensive IP/popular theme like JAWS though.
P3 just doesn't do it for me. It's half the playfield and the rest just doesn't come off as appealing to me at all. Looks cheap, limited mechs, etc.. But imagine what stern could do if they dipped their hands into a full playfield that's LCD while keeping true to the rest of the PIN. would be pretty cool I think.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
It looks pretty bitchin
But it plays a little different
I played a WA so the back was dedicated with a hamster wheel, etc.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
It doesn’t matter. Some pinheads just hate and spew BS to support their argument. I especially like the “limited mechs” comment. Weird Al has:
5 flippers
3 ramps - 2 of which are motorized and 1 is magnet assisted
Physical lock - hamster wheel
Physical locks (3) - TV Camera
Upper playfield
3 pop bumpers
A bunch of divertors that change ball paths according to play

In addition, the lower 2/3rds (not half as incorrectly stated) has 6 retractable scoops, 4 side targets, and full pf tracking with some modes being played on the screen.

This is just 1 module.

There’s more packed into the top third of the weird al pf than most Stern Spike 2 Pros have in the whole game.

I don’t mind the blind hate. I don’t like when there’s bs statements. Rant over lol.

Are the flippers different feel? Yup. But so is BoF and Spooky. Is the lower 2/3rd sparse? Yep. Can there be mechs there? Yep. They haven’t done it in a production game yet because the whole point of the P3 is the quick conversion between games. If they start adding lower mechs it takes time to swap. Are there super awesome pop culture themes yet? Nope. Princess Bride is a step in the right direction but not there yet.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
P3 just doesn't do it for me. It's half the playfield and the rest just doesn't come off as appealing to me at all. Looks cheap, limited mechs, etc.. But imagine what stern could do if they dipped their hands into a full playfield that's LCD while keeping true to the rest of the PIN. would be pretty cool I think.
What I think you are trying to describe is basically impossible, because how would the mechs attach to the playfield. Picture an unpopulated playfield. It has potentially hundreds of holes in it. How can you have an LCD screen with hundreds of holes? The P3 is the closest we will probably get in the foreseeable future and it is an amazing machine. From what you are saying about it, I would guess you have never played one. The implementation is practically seamless and the whole system is very high quality.

Reactions: MrMikeman

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
It doesn’t matter. Some pinheads just hate and spew BS to support their argument. I especially like the “limited mechs” comment. Weird Al has:
5 flippers
3 ramps - 2 of which are motorized and 1 is magnet assisted
Physical lock - hamster wheel
Physical locks (3) - TV Camera
Upper playfield
3 pop bumpers
A bunch of divertors that change ball paths according to play

In addition, the lower 2/3rds (not half as incorrectly stated) has 6 retractable scoops, 4 side targets, and full pf tracking with some modes being played on the screen.

This is just 1 module.

There’s more packed into the top third of the weird al pf than most Stern Spike 2 Pros have in the whole game.

I don’t mind the blind hate. I don’t like when there’s bs statements. Rant over lol.

Are the flippers different feel? Yup. But so is BoF and Spooky. Is the lower 2/3rd sparse? Yep. Can there be mechs there? Yep. They haven’t done it in a production game yet because the whole point of the P3 is the quick conversion between games. If they start adding lower mechs it takes time to swap. Are there super awesome pop culture themes yet? Nope. Princess Bride is a step in the right direction but not there yet.
Agree 100%. The P3 is an incredible piece of machinery.

Oct 7, 2021
Nova Scotia
We got some P3 fanboys up in here lol. Just my opinion fellas, don't get all worked up because I don't enjoy the same flavour as you. As for the comment about the holes in the playfield and it being impossible, I feel innovation can change that.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Meh. I was just trying to correct some things you said but same as Pinside. If anyone points out conflicting info to the incorrect statement you get labeled as a fanboy and dismissed. All good. Not trying to convince you. :)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Has multimorphic ever shown off components that can sit on top of the lower part of the PF? I know that Heist had pieces that extended over it, but I don't think I've ever seen a piece that can affix lower down somehow. I get the design consideration for fast swap and easier storage, so I can see why you wouldn't do this often, but it does mean most of the p3 games are very "top heavy" with respect to the physical shots. The idea, of course, is that you can do stuff with the screen as well, and the ball tracking is pretty impressive. There's a couple of modes in Weird Al that do this pretty well from the few times I've played it. I feel like there's an opportunity to do more with the p3 platform, but I suspect that multimorphic is also a little trapped by the fact that they have a platform in-market and don't want to alienate the current owners. I believe that all the modules are compatible with all the P3 cabs, right?

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
All modules are compatible with the P3. The base cabinet part has been slowly upgraded over the years but always backwards compatible.

They can put mechs/stuff over the bottom part as well in the same manner as the flippers, slings, and side targets. It all has to hang above the playfield. They have prototype pop bumpers designed for the lower pf. Just not implemented yet. Weird Al has a crossover wireform over the playfield to bring the ball to the opposite inlane.

The biggest limitation I think is the computer hardware. Since they want to always remain compatible to the original design from 2018, it makes it hard to upgrade the PC or graphics cards that drive the multiple displays. I'm sure they have a plan for the future.

The appeal for pinball machines is usually based on theme. So far they've done non-licensed and the few licensed themes have been somewhat niche. Hope they find an IP that puts them on the map.

My wife isn't fond of the P3. For her it's the lack of artwork that we see on other games from Spooky, Stern, etc. With Multimorphic it's all very generic and no real "decoration" of the lower pf (the slings and side targets are not backlit so plastics are difficult to see clearly). It's a fun machine but I concede that it looks bland. You have to play it to get it. The playfield screen really livens things up and compensates for the lack of static art/figurines/etc.