• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LED Mods

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
Has anyone come across a site or blog where you can make led mods for the Vertical Up-Kickers or anything interesting?

I have a roll of the RBG light strips and can attach to a 12volt supply, which i have done for my TZ backglass.

Im just curious to see how others save some cash and make their own.

thanks

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Last year near my old work I noticed a small LED shop tucked away in the back corner of a complex so I walked over one day. They had lots of LED products but found most of them I could buy for much less with shipping included off ebay. I saw these guys on my way out and asked how much and they said 50 cents per section so I picked some up to play around with at home.

7221551944_67f40bcf11_c.jpg

I got the idea to light up the back mountains on my White Water from this mod on ebay sold by Andy in the UK

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WHITEWATER-White ... 416f5bdfd3

Not bad for $1.00 and about 10 minutes to fabricate up a wiring harness and connector to tie in nicely with the game without having to hack any stock wiring.

7221550544_45f2d49797_c.jpg

If you want more details check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
REVOLUTION said:
It's actually easier than you think, what most do is buy a simple light socket and aim it towards the hole (heh).. then wire it to the desired insert to trigger it.

I was wondering how it would get triggered or activate. Ahh yes the insert. Duh me!
thanks B

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
are you looking to light up a hole like this?
2012-03-12182540.jpg

If so...SUPER easy and no permanent mod needed.

All yo need is a set of wired alligator clips (to steal power from another light) and one of the twisty neck high power bulbs for Pinball life.

I find it essayist to order 555 bulb holders fror pop bumpers as they come with long leads to put the alligator clips on.

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
mwong168 said:
Last year near my old work I noticed a small LED shop tucked away in the back corner of a complex so I walked over one day. They had lots of LED products but found most of them I could buy for much less with shipping included off ebay. I saw these guys on my way out and asked how much and they said 50 cents per section so I picked some up to play around with at home.

If you want more details check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17

Mike, You rock! i forgot about this post completely.

I have been meaning to ask you...I have 2 Star trek Enterprise ships from the 1992 Playmate series. The LEDs are so small and dim.
I guuess the best way to install modern LEDS would be to gently pry it apart, shave excess plastic to install the strip lights ni small pieces, then reinstall?

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
Pharoah007 said:
are you looking to light up a hole like this?

If so...SUPER easy and no permanent mod needed.

All yo need is a set of wired alligator clips (to steal power from another light) and one of the twisty neck high power bulbs for Pinball life.

I find it essayist to order 555 bulb holders fror pop bumpers as they come with long leads to put the alligator clips on.

Yes! Exactly what i want to do. I was wondering though.. wont the ball damage the light? Do you need to drill a hole in the scoop and place the light from behind?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Aerostarz said:
Yes! Exactly what i want to do. I was wondering though.. wont the ball damage the light? Do you need to drill a hole in the scoop and place the light from behind?

It depends on where you mount your light socket, if you look at pharaoh's picture above, I would use a socket like this and the same sized wood screw used for GI sockets to secure under the playfield.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1770

You see the skull head in front of the scoop, I would mount it there and point towards the scoop to cast a reflection like that.

As for your enterprise ship, yes it would be ideal to pry it apart to mount your leds or strips and run the wiring out the back near the bottom to keep things looking clean.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I am on the fence about modding my High speed.
LEDs seem to be a popular one along with mirror blades.
Just wondering if the LED kits are the way to go or just buying bulk, which leads to...
do the LEDs simply plug into the existing lamp socket in the machine? I notice the sockets around the radar detector are larger sized.
Colour could be an issue as I'm damn near colour blind.

Thanks for the input.
Brad

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
BMHouze said:
I am on the fence about modding my High speed.
LEDs seem to be a popular one along with mirror blades.
Just wondering if the LED kits are the way to go or just buying bulk, which leads to...
do the LEDs simply plug into the existing lamp socket in the machine? I notice the sockets around the radar detector are larger sized.
Colour could be an issue as I'm damn near colour blind.

Thanks for the input.
Brad

I wouldn't buy a kit and just buy in bulk or piece together your own kit. All you havw to do is raise your playfield and make note of bulb types and colors. The GI is usually #44/#47 while inserts are usually #555. You might want to color match certain area of the game, for example under the bushes you might want to have green leds to make it stand out a bit more. I usually go with frosted whites for the GI and try to color match some of the inserts to make them pop.