• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

My TAF playfield swap and full cabinet resto

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
So about 6 years ago I picked up a new play field, plastics and cabinet decals for the Addams Family from Illinois Pinball. Two children later and six years later they are still sitting in boxes....but not for long. I'm going to start small and focus only on the play field swap first to keep my head from exploding. Having never done a full swap before, I have a pile of newbie questions and I am hoping for some help and advice:

1) Tumbler vs. Ultrasonic??? I have neither, what is the best and what should I buy?
2) I think I'm going to go with the wire harness in the dishwasher method. Do I only have to remove the solenoids?
3) What about switches, change all the target switches? Change all the micro switches, what is the best?
4) I think I have the basics down, new lights, new rubbers, new plastics, rebuild flipper mechs, but what about pop bumpers? full rebuild? They work fine now, but a full kit is $50 over pop bumper to go for a full meal deal. Should I just replace platters and bases and new light sockets?
5) I am leaning heavily to leaving incandescents for the GI's, can someone talk me into LED's

I'll have more questions soon, this is just a start. Let me know.

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
My TAF was swapped with an IPB playfield. There were a lot of quirks. Some dimpling was not done and the centre metal ramp had to be re-aligned. Get ready for some head scratching.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
kraken_rum.png

Paging Menace.............:)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Oh boy... If this is your first PF swap ever you sure as hell picked one of the worst ones to start with! I say this because the TAF repro PF's have a LOT of extra steps that need to be done in order to make it usable, and the worst part of it is drilling all the missing holes in the PF. You heard correct... you will have to drill ALL of the pop bumper bracket mounting screw holes (and there are 5 pops in this game x 3 holes per bracket), there are a lot of posts that will need holes drilled for, and a number of ramps that will require holes drilled. Then toss in the missing dimples and whatnot, and yeah... this PF is not for the faint of heart.

You will need to strip your old PF and use it as a template for the new PF as the holes that need drilling the locations are crutial.

As for washing the harness, if you are absolutely set on washing it in the dishwasher you will have to remove all of the switches for sure, and I recommend removing the coils as well. I'm not a fan of this method but that's just my personal preference.

If you have to pick between tumbler and USC, go with tumbler but both would be best as they do different things. (the USC cleans and the tumbler buffs)

If you're going through the trouble of doing the swap, don't skimp on parts. Get all new targets, pop skirts, bodies if the old ones are cracked or chiped, pop caps, coil sleeves for every coil in the game, get pop yokes (metal and bakelite) as you will likely find one of the old ones is cracked in half, pop skirt springs. Look at your ramp, if it's at all cracked anywhere just get a new one (and I would suggest considering the clear vs smoked as it opens up the PF nicely and allows for some great lamp options under it). Check your bookcase parts, and get any replacement pieces now as it'll be out of the game. If you want to add any of the bookcase mods now is also the time to consider them. What about the swamp or chair hole mods? Make sure you install mantis hole protector in at least the chair scoop hole during the swap. Then the rest is up to you. Obviously full flipper rebuilds, bet the ones from PBR as they come complete with bushings and rubber stops. I'd leave the GI as incandescent, but it's personal preference.

Have fun, and good luck!

PS. Having some Kraken on hand is also a good idea, although that can be substituted with any drink of choice. You'll likely need it with this PF. LOL

D

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Hey Menace,

Thanks for the awesome response. Much appreciated.

I checked the IPB play field and this was their second run of the playfeilds, so the 3 holes are there for the pops, as well as the ones in the graveyard, I'll double check when I swap, but I am hoping to have minimal drillings. I remember talking to the gal at Illinois pinball before buying and she mentioned they had corrected most of the issues from the first run.

OK, so it sounds like the dishwasher is a bad idea. What else would you recommend? Big rubber made bin type bath? What type of cleaner would you use? Also I am assuming the switches and solenoids still comes off in this case. Let me know your thoughts.

So let's talk tumbler. Is a vibration polisher (for ammo shells) better than a tumbler? Just thinking I could buy one a Cabella's, as I don't know where to get a tumbler locally. Also I saw a homemade version of a USC with a orbital sander velcro'd to a smaller tupperware container with a CLR solution. Good idea/bad idea? Just curious what is best practice. Also, Walnut shells the best media, or corn cobb in the vibration polisher?

That for the tips about pop bumpers. I was doing the top end for sure, but forgot about the yokes.

I already have a new clear ramp installed. Put it in 3 years ago, but still looks great.

I currently have a cliffy on the electric chair, but considering an inside the hole type guard when I redo the playfeild.

I have questions about the bookcase. My bookcase base is cracked a bit, so I crazy glued it and threw a treasure cove decal over it to cover the cracking. Has been solid ever since. Should I replace the base? if so I don't think these come with lenses. Can I reuse the lenses or need to purchase new as well? If I do that should I just get the whole bookcase kit? Let me know.

Lastly, I have two home brewed kegs full on the kegerator now. I imagine they will be empty by the time this done. Kraken is no longer allowed in the house after the Mrs. over indulged one night ;), but good advice none the less.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Hopefully your 2nd run PF has a LOT of the issues corrected. :) You will still likely have a few places that need drilling though, just the way it goes. The fact the pop screws are done is a bonus. The other area that I had to drill was the small metal ramp top middle of the PF. It's a two piece setup and it needs to be just right.

The harnesses I usually clean by hand, scrubing bubbles and a brush will be your best friend. Switches definitely need to come off, coils not AS important but I remove them anyway as it makes it less of a pain to handle an already awkward piece. You can use whatever you want to rinse it off.

Tumbler, everyone just uses a vibe polisher style. Just try and get something large enough to fit the big . oversize stuff. I've seen the USC orbital hack and it's just that... sure it sorta works but it's nowhere near working at ultrasonic levels. It's not as crucial as a tumbler, but makes it easier to get stuff clean before tumbling.

The base is totally up to you. If you fixed your old one and it's working fine and you're happy with the condition just re-use it.

Don't use a cliffy on a new shiney PF, get the Matis in-hole protectors.

Have fun!

D

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Wow! This brings me back so very long ago... (almost a blur now)
You ain't seen nothing yet gang! (I am not kidding!) Doug is a machine.
Watch Menace "curse" and drill a TAF pf on a Stargazer pin the first time we met?...
Helluva an education that I will remember for the rest of my life about "process" and "execution".

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
I Started!!!!!

OK, I have lots of questions and I hope you guys can help.

1) What type of vibration polisher media do you use? I have red walnut right now, is that OK?
2) I think I overloaded my vibration polisher with too many big pieces. I noticed a lot of plastic damage to the bowl and a lot of extra scratches to larger items. It the polisher only good on smaller posts and wire guides?
3) Zinc plating: Is there anyone local (Niagara, St.kits hamilton region) who does it? Is it common? What parts should I do on the interior? I was assuming Thing's box, thing scoop, chair scoop, receptical box, and coin box lid. What about solenoid mech frames? What about the swamp scoop? What about ball guides? Not sure what is acceptable and what is not. Will zinc plating stand-up in a scoop for wear or will it flake over time?
4) What type of degreaser does everyone use? I don't have an ultrasonic and I am trying to avoid buying one. Let me know the best approach.
5) I tried re-graining with a scotchbrite flapper wheel. It was super easy and I like the look. Should I buy a buffing wheel and buff everything after regraining ? Does that gain me much? What is best approach?
6) How do I properly clean all the these scoops and awkward items? Degreaser and elbow grease? I can't really get in there to polish or re-grain. As mentioned above, I don't want these in the polisher again due to deep scratching. Let me know.

I made my big orders and have the following on its way:

1) new flipper mechs
2) new nylon sleeve kit
3) new post kit
4) LED kit (coin taker non-ghosting full kit)
5) rubbers and balls
6) new leaf switches (slings, pop bumpers and flipper buttons).
7) new shooter spring
8) all new pop bumper assemblies (5x)
9) new plastics and new cab decals (already had)
10) new ramp (only 3 years old and clear)
11) New warning decals
12) new book case (3 piece plus lenses)
14) new decals for book case and thing's box
13) new coil wrappers
14) Mantis style hole guard for the chair

What did I miss? Anything glaring you guys can see? I'm getting the broken welds repaired at work on the scoops. Subway ramp seems to be in good shape. Let me know how I am doing. I am a little nervous about that rats nest of wires.

Also, I am going with a black powder coat on the lock down, side rails and legs. Anyone have any tips, suggestions, or where to get it done locally?
IMG_3892.JPGIMG_2547.JPGIMG_6665.JPG

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The only word of advice I can give on the powdercoat is you will have to buy new side rails in order for this to work. The original side rail gauge is too thin, and the heat from the baking process is too high and warps the crap out of them.

Beyond that, just take your time and take lots of pics.

D

Reactions: good_buddy83

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Thanks Menace.

I actually bought some unfinished side-rails from Flashinstinct that I plan on powder coating so I hope those will work.

I fought a few T-nuts, but eventually managed to get them removed. I will re-use most, but I have a few spares for the odd one I mangled. Why did Williams/Bally diamond plate over the top-side T- nuts in the factory? Just seems a bit odd.

I tried some Goo-Gone and magic eraser to clean the steel mechs last nice. Then I left them in PBW solution (Stainless Steel Beer kettle Cleaner that is slightly caustic). I'm hoping to use a big more magic eraser on them tonight to clean them up. I'll keep you guys posted with pics. Thanks for the help.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
All of the new rails I've bought have coated without any issue, it's just the originals I've removed and tried to coat that warp and destroy themselves. You should be good.

D

Reactions: good_buddy83

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
Great job so far! Ive been using Briteside customs for my powdercoating. Ive refered a few people to him and they have been quite happy. Superpinball is one, (maybe he can chime in). His name is Mike and is a great guy. He is located at Bermondsey and Eglinton area. www.brightsidecustoms.com

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Happy to see TAF getting some love.
It was my first game and I have amassed everything I need to do a kickass restore (including a Ron Kruzman playfield) and yet I keep ignoring this game in favour of working on other projects.
Maybe I'm just subconsciously waiting until I have the time to offer it my undivided attention. Yeah, that's it ;)

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing it done.

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
It was my first game and I have amassed everything I need to do a kickass restore (including a Ron Kruzman playfield) and yet I keep ignoring this game in favour of working on other projects.
Maybe I'm just subconsciously waiting until I have the time to offer it my undivided attention. Yeah, that's it ;)
Maybe you are putting it off becaause you know how much of a bitch its going to be to work on !! lol