• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Once the border opens, is it cheaper to buy from the USA?

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Pin prices are crazy, especially in Ontario. Demand is high everywhere.

I was just wondering if it's cheaper to buy from the USA. When the borders are open, what are everyone's plans? A 48 hour stay in the USA excempts you from $800 of duty free. The Canadian dollar hit a 3 year high last week (it has since fallen off a bit).

For example, a Metallica Pro averages for $5500 in the USA.
$5500USD to CAD is approx. $7000CAD
Tax on $7K CAD is $910CAD, so the total bumps up to $7910CAD.

Is there duty on a pinball machine? On the CBSA website Electronics/Media are not subjected to tax, but I wasn't sure if a pinball machine would fall into this category.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

There are obviously other expenses like fuel costs, and hotel rooms (if necessary). If you just look at this example, the $7910CAD. If this accurate?

I was just curious what will happen once the border opens, or if the Canadian dollar starts hovering in the mid .80 cents again.

What's a Metallica Pro in Ontario sell for?
Is it worth looking south for pins?
What are your plans when/if things open up?

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
about the same price , after all expenses maybe 500 more , so buying here is better , you can see and touch for condition , don't have to drive 4-10 hours one way .

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
So is the determining factor the CAD dollar then? If the dollar hits .90 cents (possible, but unlikely) is this when we start seeing an influx of pins coming in from over the border? This would mean a $5500USD pin is approximately $6500CAD.

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
yes , and if it goes back to 2007 are dollar was 13 points above par , then it is cheaper to pay in can. dollars , so 6k Us will be 5100 US

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I have bought a few games in the US in the past. It really comes down to condition and finding a game you really want. I have been looking for a WOZ RR so likely have to buy it in the US. Pinballs are exempt from duty as they are made in North America. But you are still subject to pay GST in Ontario at the border at 13% of the amount paid for the game. If you stay over 24 hours you get $200 exemption and over 48 hours a $800 exemption.

Really depends what game you want. Some games are actually cheaper in Canada versus the US. If you are looking for a used Metallica, P1 had three about a month ago ranging in price from $6,500 plus tax. But they are routed so have some wear. I was lucky enough to find a Premium in Ontario.

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I wouldn't expect the Cdn dollar to go up in value just because of the border opening. It is really tied to the price of oil so if oil can get back to $100 a barrel, we be golden again. Plus other factors like interest rates, etc.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not on the hunt for a pin now, but I've noticed the trend of games not lasting long when they are put up for sale. It seems to be a sellers market, at least to me. My observations are all through the forums though. I am not experiencing it first hand.

I don't think the CAD dollar will go up when the border re-opens, but I have been watching it trend upwards. I doubt we will ever see 2007 levels again in our lifetime. I was mainly just curious how often games were brought in from the USA because the game just wasn't available anywhere in Canada.

Duty free is a nice touch. The $200/$800 excemption does that apply to the GST then? Back before COVID, I travelled to tradeshows often, but at the time I never took advantage of this except for booze.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
so staying 48 hours will save you hst on 800$. About 90$. but It'll cost more than 90$ to stay there 2 days...
Ah... I misunderstood. I thought it was too good to be true that you were saving $800 in HST. Of course it is! It's always a percentage. When tradeshows start back up and I'm sent to work on them I don't pay for lodging so at least it's a $90 saving there. Helps for bringing parts back for sure.

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Ah... I misunderstood. I thought it was too good to be true that you were saving $800 in HST. Of course it is! It's always a percentage. When tradeshows start back up and I'm sent to work on them I don't pay for lodging so at least it's a $90 saving there. Helps for bringing parts back for sure.

That's what I figured you understood which is why I explained in greater detail. The first 800$ is tax free. Useful for parts. Not much of an impact on very large purchases. It's not 90$ that'll make a difference on whether one can spend 10k on a machine or not. lol

Reactions: Fifty

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes, it is only 13% of $800 in Ontario. If you go with family members, you can multiply that savings. I am trying the Shippsy service for mods to see if it saves me any funds. I ordered a few things from Cointaker so will see how it goes. I think if you can get the seller to indicate on the receipt that the product was "Made in the USA", then you can avoid the duty, even for large purchases. Still have to pay the 13% tax.

GUARD

Sep 17, 2016
Guelph
Remember though that 800 can't be "added" to one article. In other words if 2 adults go you can't have 1600 off of one pin. You can have 800 off of each of 2 pins.

Reactions: Fifty

Extraballingtmc

Dec 29, 2015
Maple ridge
I’ve bought many games over the border. Not really cheaper on modern games but older games I would say yes. I mainly buy in states stuff I can’t find locally or local guys want way too much for.
Example I bought a few 80b gottliebs for around 1000 usd each, had them shipped , picked them up , paid the 12% tax and was still cheaper lol. Local guys wanted around 2500cdn and I landed them around 1700cdn.