• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pretty cool idea for a phone

JeffM

Nov 27, 2012
London
Seems like a really cool idea

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c[/youtube]

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Although it's a neat idea and it seems like it would certainly cut down on the waste, I don't see this ever getting off the drawing board.

First of all, most people don't want the same phone forever. Most people don't even want the iPhone 4 just because there is something called the iPhone 5 even though it's more or less the same thing.

Second, I don't think the cell phone companies are interested in selling individual components when they can charge you more for a new phone. That is likely the reason why it usually makes more sense to buy a new phone instead of a new screen. Or so the phone companies say. The summation of the parts is apparently only SLIGHTLY more expensive than whatever little component you need. They squeeze an extra $50-$100 out of you and you feel like you got a sweet deal on an upgrade.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
bstock said:
Although it's a neat idea and it seems like it would certainly cut down on the waste, I don't see this ever getting off the drawing board.

First of all, most people don't want the same phone forever. Most people don't even want the iPhone 4 just because there is something called the iPhone 5 even though it's more or less the same thing.

Second, I don't think the cell phone companies are interested in selling individual components when they can charge you more for a new phone. That is likely the reason why it usually makes more sense to buy a new phone instead of a new screen. Or so the phone companies say. The summation of the parts is apparently only SLIGHTLY more expensive than whatever little component you need. They squeeze an extra $50-$100 out of you and you feel like you got a sweet deal on an upgrade.

Or it could be the exact opposite, to up your iPhone4, you just need to buy a new processor block, new wifi block, new Bluetooth block ect. I think in the long run company's could make more for each phone with all the options that are possible.

Second, there's many cell repair places that will fix your broken phone, they'd love to be able to stock interchangeable parts for all phones.

Six months after a spent $400 on a blackberry 9000, I smashed the screen. I was under contract, the new phone was going to be $699. So I looked online, found a replacement from china for $60, replaced it myself

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Luckydogg420 said:
Six months after a spent $400 on a blackberry 9000, I smashed the screen. I was under contract, the new phone was going to be $699. So I looked online, found a replacement from china for $60, replaced it myself

Of course as with anything it's often cheaper to do it yourself. However I would hazard a guess that the majority of the people who smash their screen wouldn't even know what a torx diver was, let alone have one small enough sitting around to crack into their blackberry. It's a job that a monkey could do, but most people couldn't be bothered, and would at the very least, have a "professional" install the screen.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
I love this idea. Even as an Apple fanboy I'd want this... the planned obsolescence of most technology gives me a rash. I don't care if my phone is blocky.... as long as it's upgradeable and I'm not being forced to buy a new one because of one component.