• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Quadcopter video shot over Niagara Falls

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Pretty stunning video of Niagara Falls shot using a quadcopter, enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cfoLYTKObiU[/youtube]

tim.sanderson

I think that's the video made by one of the guys that's a customer of mine. We sell all that multi rotor stuff. There's some pretty cool stuff out there. We can't even keep it on the shelves.
The shit storm caused by videos like that (and way more so the one below) is pretty crazy:
around the 2 minute mark he flies between the Statue of Liberty's head and arm.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78[/youtube]
Apparently there are 'hobbyists' who've been fined $5000 for doing it commercially, and if you're a corporation I think it's more like $25-$30,000
The advancements in FPV (first person view) technology has progressed so quickly, it's caught the government off guard. It's quite the interesting read if you do some research on it.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
What is the range for these quadcopters Tim? Seems like the operators can be pretty far away and the video footage captured looks so steady too. My friend bought a RC helicopter and I tried to fly it and was very difficult. I think he crashed it a few times and cost quite a bit to replace the broken parts so the hobby shop recommended a PC software simulator and remote kit to practice on.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
the quad copters are much more stable than a single for sure. I've been playing around a lot with the indoor copters (airhogs) and I'm looking to up my game to a more expensive outdoor model. Hey, you've gotta start somewhere! :D

Tim, where do you work? Sounds like a pretty fun place

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
REVOLUTION said:
I've been playing around a lot with the indoor copters (airhogs) and I'm looking to up my game to a more expensive outdoor model. Hey, you've gotta start somewhere! :D

Same here. My family room has an 18 foot ceiling which is awesome for indoor copters. I've got a pair of them and we have dogfights 'n stuff, but like Brock, I'm looking to upgrade eventually and head outdoors. I've got a feeling it's gonna cost me more than $39. :) :) :)

tim.sanderson

REVOLUTION said:
the quad copters are much more stable than a single for sure. I've been playing around a lot with the indoor copters (airhogs) and I'm looking to up my game to a more expensive outdoor model. Hey, you've gotta start somewhere! :D

Tim, where do you work? Sounds like a pretty fun place

I work at Hobby Hobby in Streetsville, Mississauga. I basically sell toys for big kids. Everything from RC cars and trucks, to planes helis and multi rotor stuff. I used to race RC cars until (ironically enough) I started working at a hobby store. But now that I spend 50 hours a week surrounded by it, I haven't raced since January in Orlando. (this is where pinball has stepped in :p)

mwong168 said:
What is the range for these quadcopters Tim? Seems like the operators can be pretty far away and the video footage captured looks so steady too. My friend bought a RC helicopter and I tried to fly it and was very difficult. I think he crashed it a few times and cost quite a bit to replace the broken parts so the hobby shop recommended a PC software simulator and remote kit to practice on.
The range can be quite far. Unless you install an FPV (first person viewing) system you're limited by how far you can see. With FPV you wear a set of goggles that displays what the camera on board sees. So you're basically flying it as if you were in the plane/heli/multi rotor or whatever you're flying. Again, that's questionably legal today. If you get busted making money for someone (real estate agents and the property they are listing is a common one) you can get stung with a fine in the thousands.
It costs $750 for a machine that you can mount your GoPro onto. An FPV system can cost $500. For the bigger hex/octo copters you're getting into the thousands. Then, for a gimble (basically a gyro operated camera mount that) can cost you in the thousands as well. Some systems have an entirely separate system to handle pan/tilt/zoom etc. That's thousands more.

But if you just want a smaller quad or heli you can fly indoors and out, you can get started for under a hundred bucks.

And yes, simulator are almost a necessity if you want to start flying the advanced stuff. Every wipe out on your PC saves you hundreds of dollars!

tim.sanderson

This is me flying one of my planes with a Creative Vado camera poking out the front. You can see me as I do a fly by at 3:48 into the video. :p
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9r-6y7nWE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

(p.s. the web address at the beginning doesn't work. I let it expire due to lack of interest. You can read about my pre-pinball exploits here: http://tsanrc.blogspot.ca/

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
tim.sanderson said:
If any of you want to pop by, let me know, and I'll make sure I'm there. I can even give a PinRev member discount if you want to buy a new toy!

That's awesome and if I only my ex-brother in-law knew you probably could have saved him thousands. He was big into his RC cars and the last one he bought was over $2000 and used real gasoline. That was his justification was that gasoline was cheaper then nitro :FP: Needless to say I out with him a few times to play and each time something broke it cost as much and some cases more then a real car!

I don't know if my secret code still works on Brock's site pinballcustoms.com but AZNHOMO use to get me some pretty good discounts on shooter rods, mirror blades and target decals :D

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
That's very cool Tim. I think I have been into your shop before. It's kinda in the corner of that strip mall on the west side of Queen right ? Bought some train stuff there probably 5 years ago ( or more ).

Cool video from the plane. Funny with those lines. I've shot a few vids while flying and you also get those lines from the prop.

On our way to Georgetown along Mayfield Road, we always pass by a field that is/was often used for rc flying. It's between Winston Churchill and Heritage, I believe. Ever do anything there ? Where are you in that vid ?

tim.sanderson

g-man said:
On our way to Georgetown along Mayfield Road, we always pass by a field that is/was often used for rc flying. It's between Winston Churchill and Heritage, I believe. Ever do anything there ? Where are you in that vid ?
That video was shot at a cluster of soccer fields, I think they are off of Trafalgar road somewhere. There were no other people there when we were flying there. That was the only time I flew at that particular location. Last year I mostly flew at the Mississauga Model Flyers Club. (I never flew anything until last spring)
Funny with those lines. I've shot a few vids while flying and you also get those lines from the prop.
I assume from your avatar you're a real pilot? A lot of my customers are pilots too. A few guys I work with are too.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
Yeah, I got my pilot's license last year. My dad had his license and it was sort of a bucket list thing for me. Needed to cross it off my list. Didn't think I would like it so much.

I suppose it makes sense that you'd get a bunch of fly-boys in there looking for the rc stuff. From the flying forums I go on, it seems most of the guys live, eat and breathe flying. Sounds a little bit like another hobby we are both familiar with. :FP:

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
g-man said:
REVOLUTION said:
I've been playing around a lot with the indoor copters (airhogs) and I'm looking to up my game to a more expensive outdoor model. Hey, you've gotta start somewhere! :D

Same here. My family room has an 18 foot ceiling which is awesome for indoor copters. I've got a pair of them and we have dogfights 'n stuff, but like Brock, I'm looking to upgrade eventually and head outdoors. I've got a feeling it's gonna cost me more than $39. :) :) :)

Ok, quad copters are cool, but 18 foot ceilings??? Now that's awesome!

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
stiffler4444 said:

Yeah, it's been a lot of fun. I highly recommend it. :D

Here's a pic from a couple years ago. Painting it was a beeyatch, to say the least.

Attachments

• familyroom.jpg
    familyroom.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 880

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
stiffler4444 said:

our new house has one of those too, I'm pretty effin' excited!!

TIM! That's an awesome job you have there my friend, are you working this weekend? I'll drop by.. I have to give you your draw prize anyway :FP:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is another good video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tMwSVDVJNWc[/youtube]

Question Tim, is there something on the remote that tells you that you are close to going out of range? It would really suck if that ever happened and your copter and camera gear comes crashing down to the ground.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Must... resist... a... visit...

I was a HUGE model railroader growing up, completely obsessed with trains. As a kid my room was in the basement and over half of it was my layout, and it was a BIG room. Last thing I need is another hobby, but I do love trains...

D