• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Selling a pin in the US

Geteos

Feb 4, 2019
Toronto
I have a buyer in Albany lined up for my SMB and he wants to meet in Rochester to do the sale.

I can't find any concrete information on what the process is to bring this pin into the US for sale. The few blurbs I've seen on the CBP website make it sound like it's up to the agent's discretion.

The value of the transaction is just north of $2500USD.

Has anyone sold a pin in the US recently that can give me some tips?

Thanks in advance!

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
Get him to meet you on the Canadian side, he won’t pay tax when he brings it back to the US because it’s American-made.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
The second you tell the US agent that you're bringing the machine down to 'sell' to another collector, you'll wish you hadn't.

Follow the advice already given. Get him to meet you on the Canadian side (preferably away from the actual border crossing). It's another hour for the buyer, but he will feel zero pain going back home with the machine. US agents don't seem to be too worried about tax collection from their citizens... at least not for purchases of this type.

Sadly, a lot of Americans seem unwilling or unprepared to cross into Canada.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

Geteos

Feb 4, 2019
Toronto
Thanks for the advice!

I've offered to reduce the price a bit to compensate for his extra travel if he meets me in Niagara Falls.

We'll see how it goes.