• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SST shop time

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
Hello Everyone,
So its been about 4 months now I've been enjoying my Starship Troopers acquired from Revolution (Brock). I figured its time to get down and dirty and tackle removing that ramp so I can clean, wax and address the divots near the magnet. At the same time I would like to try and install LED's, replace rubbers and install a cliffy protector kit.
K1024_K1024_IMG_9936.JPG
Removing that ramp toke me a night on its own lol. I was so worried I was gonna break something or remove something I wasn't suppose to. I tried to look online for instructions or a video on how to remove it but no such luck so I just removed one screw at a time and lifting the ramp. I hate detaching wires and plugs as I'm always scared I won't remember which wire goes to which but I had to detach the flashers, nuke signs and moving warrior bug. I was hoping I didn't have to remove the Warrior bug but to install the Cliffy's I had too.
K1024_IMG_0949.JPG K1024_IMG_0962.JPG
I put in 2 of Cliffy protectors as it was easily accessible now where the warrior bug was and I just removed the Hopper ontop of the Arm nuke hole.
K1024_IMG_0976.JPG K1024_IMG_0975.JPG
I wanted to skip the last Cliffy protector because It looked tricky having to remove the underground ramp and VUK but of course I couldn't leave it out.
K1024_IMG_0985.JPG K1024_IMG_0986.JPG K1024_IMG_1040.JPG
Next thing to fix was the divots in near the magnet. This was the number 1 priority and would make the most improvement to the gameplay.
K1024_IMG_1010.JPG
Put on some Wood Rebuilder compound that my work place uses for piano restoration.K1024_IMG_1036.JPG
I think it turned out ok. I thought I would try to paint it to give some colour but not sure how to recreate this... might just leave it since you can't see this as its under the ramp. Will probably put on some mylar stickers as well.

Reactions: WARLOCK

a.stebel

Jul 7, 2014
Barrie
Good work. Good picture to show your detail.

I would recommend getting a new magnet core or if it is the adjustablw type turn the head down on a lathe.

With a flat magnet core your fill job will turn out much better.

Hello Everyone,
So its been about 4 months now I've been enjoying my Starship Troopers acquired from Revolution (Brock). I figured its time to get down and dirty and tackle removing that ramp so I can clean, wax and address the divots near the magnet. At the same time I would like to try and install LED's, replace rubbers and install a cliffy protector kit.
View attachment 6742
Removing that ramp toke me a night on its own lol. I was so worried I was gonna break something or remove something I wasn't suppose to. I tried to look online for instructions or a video on how to remove it but no such luck so I just removed one screw at a time and lifting the ramp. I hate detaching wires and plugs as I'm always scared I won't remember which wire goes to which but I had to detach the flashers, nuke signs and moving warrior bug. I was hoping I didn't have to remove the Warrior bug but to install the Cliffy's I had too.
View attachment 6743 View attachment 6744
I put in 2 of Cliffy protectors as it was easily accessible now where the warrior bug was and I just removed the Hopper ontop of the Arm nuke hole.
View attachment 6746 View attachment 6745
I wanted to skip the last Cliffy protector because It looked tricky having to remove the underground ramp and VUK but of course I couldn't leave it out.
View attachment 6749 View attachment 6750 View attachment 6748
Next thing to fix was the divots in near the magnet. This was the number 1 priority and would make the most improvement to the gameplay.
View attachment 6752
Put on some Wood Rebuilder compound that my work place uses for piano restoration.View attachment 6747
I think it turned out ok. I thought I would try to paint it to give some colour but not sure how to recreate this... might just leave it since you can't see this as its under the ramp. Will probably put on some mylar stickers as well.

Reactions: kvoxx

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
Good work. Good picture to show your detail.

I would recommend getting a new magnet core or if it is the adjustablw type turn the head down on a lathe.

With a flat magnet core your fill job will turn out much better.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know you could change the magnet core.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Wow that ramp must have been a pain to remove and now you can give your game a good cleaning since everything is accessible now. Now would also be a good time to replace all the GI with LEDS since it is a Sega and can only be changed from the top and not the bottom of the playfield.

I think this is the replacement magnet core for your game:

530-5320-00.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

The magnet core can also be a pain and you can do some reading in this old thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-take-magnet-core-out-for-replacement

Reactions: kvoxx

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
Wow that ramp must have been a pain to remove and now you can give your game a good cleaning since everything is accessible now. Now would also be a good time to replace all the GI with LEDS since it is a Sega and can only be changed from the top and not the bottom of the playfield.

I think this is the replacement magnet core for your game:

530-5320-00.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

The magnet core can also be a pain and you can do some reading in this old thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-take-magnet-core-out-for-replacement
Thanks Mike,
I'll put in a order for the magnet core. Was reading up about people changing them and apparently it can be tricky lol.
OMG the ramp was tough lol. Why oh why did they make a one piece!