• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tournament Play Yes or No

Rockin

Jan 19, 2016
Caledon ON
Why do you choose to play, or not play in tournaments?
After seeing Jeff from Pinball Profile's steam and the Pinside thread I'm interested in the Canadian perspective on tournament play. I'm a middle of the pack tournament player and I'm fine with that. I have machines at home I can play anytime. I enjoy the social aspect of pinball as much as playing. I play in a regular weekly tournament which I enjoy more for the social aspect than competitive. Don't get me wrong, I love beating the top players head to head, and occasionally making playoffs. But, probably have more fun playing the "loser's tournament" with my pinball friends who don't make playoffs. I'm not into the grind of two or three day tournaments, but enjoy meeting new people at the occasional Saturday one. The pinball community is an eclectic group, and there are lots of interesting people out there who it's great to have an opportunity to meet.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I do not play, nor have any interest in tournament play, because I do not like turning anything I enjoy into something competitive. Social play interests me, but a tournament turns me off completely.

Reactions: Rockin

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
I do not play, nor have any interest in tournament play, because I do not like turning anything I enjoy into something competitive. Social play interests me, but a tournament turns me off completely.

I just started tournaments, and so far everyone has been really cool at them. It's been more of a big social event at the ones I've been to. Sure, it's a "competition", but no one has been an ass. I've been to them at Forked River in London, Maple Pinball and the Wasaga show so far.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I've been playing tournaments, mostly the TOPL weekly league meets for maybe 14 years now (at least long enough to have a 4 digit IFPA number), and it's a great way to socialize and play more pinball. I don't really have a lot of interest in playing 3 day marathons, or in traveling as much as is required to make the top ranks in IFPA, but a few hours every Monday is well worth it. I like learning how to play better, and it is more fun to compete with others for high scores on a game. It also means that I get access to way more games than the 10 I can fit in my basement.

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
I've been playing tournaments, mostly the TOPL weekly league meets for maybe 14 years now (at least long enough to have a 4 digit IFPA number), and it's a great way to socialize and play more pinball. I don't really have a lot of interest in playing 3 day marathons, or in traveling as much as is required to make the top ranks in IFPA, but a few hours every Monday is well worth it. I like learning how to play better, and it is more fun to compete with others for high scores on a game. It also means that I get access to way more games than the 10 I can fit in my basement.

Yeah, I haven't tried the three day tourney thing yet. I might next time they come around, probably try it at least once.

Traveling out to Edmonton for something like Yegpin? I don't know... if I do that, it would have to be combined with another vacation to do that. I don't think I could spend that much money to travel just for a pinball tournament LOL

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I would love to see some kind of room tour. Similar to the studio tours.
I remember driving all over with dad as a kid seeing other people's train layouts and finding out who is close by.
I don't know if just having 2 is going to cut it in the city. But here in the middle of nowhere 2 is enough.