• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FOUND Volley

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I've had a chance to get a few things and it clarified my next choice. I really want a nice Volley.

Last edited:

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Volley should be easier to find and something I can add this year hopefully.

Canada Dry might be more of a dream but it was really fun playing it in Vegas. I'm aware of the similar machines but the artwork on this is just cooler.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I thought one just popped up a couple of days ago. Was it on Kijiji?

Oh.. and Canada Dry does look cool, but game play is a poor substitute for El Dorado and, even some of the others in the series like Solar City have some pretty neat artwork

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
A Canada Dry? Oh man, I have been looking for years to find one of those in N.A. I have an uncle living in Europe who was going to help me get one here but the shipping is the killer. In France they can be found all day long. I'm waiting for when he moves back so I can put a few into his container (probably never going to happen).

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Thanks guys, Church Volley is gone. I wanted one in better shape and then when that one sold and I felt bad and realized this was my next must have machine.

I sent a note to the Markham ad, hopefully will hear back.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
My apologies to all for starting the "this is the new Volley" when, it really is only about Volley.
This pin is fantastic and beyond compare in the Wedgehead Gottlieb (or any EM) world. But, it is brutal, tough. love it.

I am sorry that I no longer have any Volley's for sale. 1 of the 2 @ the Church came from me. I kept telling people to buy it constantly.
Better to have a rough Volley first and then upgrade later once another one is available. I bought and sold so many of these, some 3,4,5 times.

I'm good now with just the 1 left I have. Good luck with the search and the hunt. It's worth it.

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
My understanding is Target Alpha, Solar City and Canada Dry have the same playfield, just different plastics, backglass, etc.

El Dorado, Gold Strike & El Dorado City of Gold all have a similar playfield to the 3 above but different.

I haven't compared them side by side, I know I enjoyed the Canada Dry in Vegas but maybe it was because I was in a good mood that day :)

Last edited:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Very different.
El Dorado was the original and it's a single player EM. That means that the goal is progressive from ball to ball. The targets do not reset on every ball like they do for the others. EMs just weren't smart enough to be able to remember where each player was in a multi-player game and put the targets back to their previous setting. That came much later on games like Eight Ball Deluxe.

On El Dorado the lit insert can be moved around and makes that particular target worth 5000 vs. 500. It also is used to collect the special (free game) once all targets are down. Not all of the variants have this feature to my knowledge.

The skilled player can truly manipulate this spotted target value to get some really good scores and/or free plays.

That's why El Dorado is prized above all of them.

The variants were Gottlieb's attempt at 2 player, 4 player and international releases of the same popular layout. This was a very common practice but this design in particular got a lot of mileage.

Reactions: scylla and WARLOCK

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Actually. I will add one more detail.
While the physical layout of the game is virtually identical throughout all of them (minus the centre rollover that ED has) , the other key difference in game play is the ability to get extra balls (or add-a-ball). This is certainly true for Target Alpha and I'm assuming for the others.

I think that completing one or both banks of targets lights the side rollovers for extra ball. You cannot do that on El Dorado. However, the single player Add-A-Ball version of El Dorado is Gold Strike and would have a similar feature.

Reactions: WARLOCK

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Target Alpha, Solar City and Canada Dry offer bonus countdown at end of ball (double bonus on the last ball) instead of the "moving spot" feature on El Dorado and it's wedgehead kin. TA/SC/CD can be set up as Extra Ball or Special, via a Jones plug. Regardless of your chosen setup, knocking down an entire bank, either the lower 5 or top 10, will lite the extra ball/special on the outside rollovers.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WARLOCK
Status
Not open for further replies.