• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

WTB: Bally 14 digit display (Found)

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Re: WTB: Bally 14 digit display

I should probably ask before I buy one but are there specific versions of the bally 14 digit display that will only work with certain games?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

If you're just buying the glass, then no all 14 digit glass should be the same. If you're buying the whole display, I'd have to look into that a bit more to confirm.

D

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

I'm about 95% sure that all the 6803 displays are the same. You may not be too far off buying LED displays if you have to buy a new display glass. What's wrong with your existing display?

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

The biggest problem it has is its missing segments which I've attributed to pins that have broken off where the two pieces of glass meet. I've tried to solder onto the little nub sticking out but it may be a lost cause. I wouldn't mind trying to separate the glass but I would like to have a replacement first as I'm sure it will shatter. On the same display but the second bank of 7 there is a missing digit. I do have all the transistors and resistors that I could probably get that going but I'm leaving that until I can sort the other problem because fixing it may be pointless.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont

You can't separate the glass, you will let the gas out that is in the display. You can get some conductive epoxy and try that to see if you can repair it, but beyond that, you're looking at a new glass. Having a look at the usual suspects PBL, PBR, Marco and BAA, no one stocks the glass. Maybe you can find a used one, but I suspect you're going to have to pony up for LED displays. 6803 parts aren't super common it seems.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford

Well the good news is I have a lead on one that I'm going to try and persue. Until then I will try a few more things to repair it or just play it as is. I don't think I'm ready to buy a new display just yet. There is only so much money for the games and this particular game is low on the pecking order for available funds. It hasn't proven itself enough to earn a nice new $300 display yet haha.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

James is correct about the epoxy repair. It's going to be your only shot at fixing a broken pin at the glass seam. You will likely have to dremel away some of the glass around the pin in order to get a decent joint with the conductive epoxy. It's a pain but if that's all the issue is it's completely doable.

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Deal went through so I have a used one on it's way. I'll probably still try and repair the old one to have as a spare but I'll put it on the back burner for now because there is a lot more to fix on this machine :FP: