• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SOLD 1964 Williams HEAT WAVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Trying to make some space and thinking of selling my 1964 HEAT WAVE.
Some of you may have seen my recent 'clean-up' thread for this pin. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoy the gameplay... but I simply cannot move in my gameroom or garage any more.
Something has to give.

HEATWAVE_044.jpg

You can view this album to see the before and after shots. A lot was done to get it this nice.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129813506@N07/sets/72157647337634414/

The only thing not pictured is the new lockbar. As you can see, my original lockbar was missing a (very rare) corner cap.
I managed to locate an entire new lockbar but just haven't restored it yet. I can offer it as-is or clean it up within a couple of days.

Playfeld has been fully cleaned and lightly touched up and waxed
New rubbers, bulbs etc...
Glass is in great shape. Only two small scraped areas near the bottom
Cabinet and all metal parts have been touched up
All plastic cleaned/polished

HEATWAVE_026.jpg

GAMEPLAY:

For those who have not seen this title, it's really quite special.
Imagine Centigrade 37, but over a decade earlier.
The game has an animated backbox thermometer and the object is to get it to the top to light Special.
The only way to do this is to roll the ball over the various mushroom switches (5 at the top of the playfield and 2 in the lower portion) as well as to hit the two swinging green targets that move side to side.
The game has a single drop target in front and it's value rises with the thermometer. The target will only re-set after the two A+B moving targets are made or when a new ball starts.
Now, here's the fun part. As you progress from Frigid, to Cool, to Warm, Hot etc.... it becomes harder and harder to advance the thermometer because the rollover switches start to turn off. Eventually you are left with just a single rollover at the top arch area. The moving targets however, will always advance the temperature.
Once you hit TORRID, the special is lit and the drop target must be made to collect.
This game is great for the pysical player. You really have to work the top bumpers to scrounge as many rollover hits as possible and be very forceful to keep balls out of the outlanes.
Also, mastering the perfect plunge will get the ball into the ideal arc and score 4 to 5 rollovers in one pass. It's very difficult to get more than 1 or 2 usually.

Masterful EM desgn and art by the great Steve Kordek and Art Stenholm.

Asking $800

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Congrats on the sale and sure the new owner will be very happy with this clean example.

Status
Not open for further replies.