• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Beginner’s Toolkit

shadowtilt

Apr 22, 2019
Mississauga
I’m a complete newb when it comes to pinball maintenance and repair, but now that I’ve got a few older machines, I have some work to do.

Is there a “standard” set of tools that one should have, and are there any recos on what are good? I’ve got to do things like repair severed wires on a goalie and strengthen a saucer kick on WCS94, and a whole bunch of light replacements and flipper repairs on some early 80’s Bally and Stern games.

Directions to any good online guides also appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
A good pencil style soldering iron, soldering wick and flux for electronics are a must, as is a digital multi-meter. I see you are in Mississauga- you can buy all of that at Sayal at Dixie and Matheson. Then get a decent set of nut drivers (magnetic), screw drivers (magnetic also helps), pliers, regular and needle nose, wire cutters and an automatic wire stripper and you are off to the races.

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I am also a complete beginner. I find something that is helpful is a tool to remove the fuses. Maybe someone can direct you to the name of the tool. It is similar to a screwdriver with a hook on the end. I use a small allen key that fits perfectly under the fuse.

One thing I also need to pick up is magnetic screwdrivers which would be extremely helpful. I picked up a multi-meter on Amazon for $20 Cdn recently. Works great.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I typically use my contact adjustment tool to pry out the sticky fuses.
Always by a few contact adjustment tools. They are like lighters and grow legs all the time.

shadowtilt

Apr 22, 2019
Mississauga
Thanks for the replies so far (especially on where to go in Missy). Now I just hope I don’t get overwhelmed with options! At least the normal hand tools aren’t completely foreign to me.

Fleetwood mIkea

Sep 13, 2017
Milton
A1 Electronics next door to Sayal also has extra long screwdrivers for $1.95. Not magnetic, but you can get a magnetizing/demagnetizing tool (Busy Bee, Princess Auto) for a few dollars. Super handy for under the playfield.