• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

BOPP won't boot

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
The lights come on but the machine won't boot after that. I checked the manual and step 1 is to see if I get 7 flashes from the a4 module when I turn it on. I do not, I get only two and then nothing else.

I tried unplugging everything that is connected to the A4 board and plugging back in with no change. I've tried the reset/test button and it doesn't do a thing.

I also tried the Microsoft solution, unplugged and waited 30 seconds and tried again. Same result.

The display was going funny before this happened, dropping some digits from the display and some of the lights were flickering that shouldn't be.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Any corrosion on that MPU near its bottom center (where the original rechargeable battery was/is) ?

See here for a description of the number of flashes and what is wrong.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Flash_Sequence

On your board, since the LED flashes twice, but not 3 times, means that the test for the 5101 CMOS RAM
memory at U8 (bottom of the board) does not pass.

Could be corrosion, bad socket for that chip, broken (corroded) trace, or bad chip itself.
With power off, try gently removing and reseating the U8 chip first without bending any of the chip's legs,
then power on to see if the machine would now boot.

- Sylvain.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJBob and Monkeybug

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Thanks Sylvain. I did manage the get the U8 memory chip out and back in and now I just get a solid green light when I turn the machine back on, no flashes at all.

Yes, there is corrosion on the board and based on the link you included (thanks very much for that BTW) this doesn't look good and I'm thinking this is likely beyond my ability to fix at this point since I'm new to this.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Bob,
There are a few guys that'll repair your board. Bruno out in QC comes to mind and he's very reasonable.
There are some local guys too but not sure if they're taking on any work.

I have a brand new ALLTEK board that you can borrow while getting your old one repaired.
Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Reactions: CJBob

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Thanks to Drano, the borrowed board is in and Bobby Orr is back on skates. The 'kids' I've got coming over for Christmas and Boxing Day are big kids but this will make there day anyway. I guess I don't have to tell you guys we're all still kids inside, perhaps the secret is not trying to fight that. :)

Reactions: DRANO