• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

bounty for Bally FATHOM or Stern STARGAZER

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
A new year is upon us and I thought I'd try something a little different.

I've been very lucky to have owned most of the titles I've really wanted at one time or another but, as we all know, there is always a short list ;). These days my list is pretty small and includes some titles that are a little less common and harder to find so I'm looking for some help.

I still hope to one day find a reasonably priced Bally Heavy Metal Meltdown, Williams Swords of Fury, Stern Big Game or even a Sega Godzilla, but there are two games in particular that are higher on my short list than any of these and are usually more tricky to find locally.

First is Bally FATHOM
Second is Stern STARGAZER

I'm not expecting something for nothing so, in return for your help, I've decided to place a bounty on these two beauties from 1980.

The offer is for a FREE playfield clear-coat for whomever helps me locate and close a deal on either of these machines!
A typical professional clearcoat job is around $400-$450 for a single standard playfield and I figured it would also be something that many of you might appreciate.

I also thought this might make things a bit more fun and interesting as I continue to hunt these titles.

PLEASE ONLY SEND ME INFO VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE
If you post info publicly and I don't get the machine, nobody wins.... well, somebody else wins ;)

Thank you

Reactions: brad808

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I didn't want to make the first post too long, so Here are some ground rules:

1) Please don't send me links to $5000 US Fathoms with playfield wear that are located halfway around the world. You gotta do a little bit more work to earn the prize :). Anyone with a large enough pocketbook can buy any game they want if they are willing to pay through the nose or travel far enough. I'm willing to pay fair market but I'm not gonna get stupid. The machine must be within a reasonable price point for the title and condition and be within a reasonable travel distance. I will consider shipping for the right machine but would prefer to avoid it. No major projects or parts machines please. Since repros are available I will consider something with a beat playfield if the rest is in good shape and working. Again, price must reflect condition.

2) I don't care if you are the owner of the game or just someone who knows a guy who knows a guy. The offer is open to whomever brings me the intel and it will take effect upon receipt of the game. Only one person is getting the clearcoat so, if the game isn't yours, I'd keep the prize to yourself ;)
If multiple people send me details on a particular game, the first one will get the clearcoat assuming I can seal the deal. However, if one of them goes above and beyond and calls me up saying he's the owners buddy and has already arranged the sale, guess who's getting the reward?

3) My offer includes ONLY clearcoating. Don't expect me to turn that rare flaking playfield you found sitting in a barn for 30 years into a work of art. I may consider some very minor touch ups or the odd insert repair but I'm not going to get into any major projects here. If I agree to any such extras, you pay time & materials for anything above and beyond the standard clearcoating. Not a lot of people realize it can cost $1200-$1500 for an in depth playfield restoration.

4) The playfield must be given to me fully stripped and free of Mylar. If it has had any previous touch up or clearcoating done, you will need to know what materials were used and disclose this to me. I don't want to be responsible for wrecking anyone's prized wall hanger :D

Typical finish is 3-4 coats of automotive clear with sanding/levelling in between. It's not usually necessary but I can offer buffing as well if desired. All work is done in a professional spray facility using quality tools and materials.

That should cover the fine print.
Let's see if we can shake loose a nice classic!

Thank you.

Reactions: Menace

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
I want Fathom too but have nothing to offer but cash...If you need cash rather then clear coat jobs pm me. ;)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I want Fathom too but have nothing to offer but cash...If you need cash rather then clear coat jobs pm me. ;)

Hey! Get your own WTB Thread Todd :p

I think my clearcoat + cash trumps that offer.
But thanks for the bump just the same ;)