• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Budget Pinball Machines

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
I would love to start out my collection with two pinball machines. One of them will surely be a Williams Taxi, one of my favorite games. Unfortunately, those don't come by very often and can be a little pricey. That would leave me about $2,000 to try and get a second machine. Is it possible to find a fun game in good conditions and ready to play for that kind of money? Oh, it has to be a late 80's or 90's game. Old school pinball is not really my thing. Are there any titles I should be on the lookout for?

Cheers!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
With a 2K budget you should be able to find something in players condition that fits your criteria. Regarding what titles to look out for, that is a VERY subjective question and only one that you can answer. What one person really likes you my absolutely hate! I think finding a reasonable sys7/9/11 game in and around the 2K mark is doable. Problem is supply and demand, and how motivated you are to travel because if you don't want to wait for something local be prepared to travel.

D

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
With a 2K budget you should be able to find something in players condition that fits your criteria. Regarding what titles to look out for, that is a VERY subjective question and only one that you can answer. What one person really likes you my absolutely hate! I think finding a reasonable sys7/9/11 game in and around the 2K mark is doable. Problem is supply and demand, and how motivated you are to travel because if you don't want to wait for something local be prepared to travel.

D
Thanks for such a quick reply. I wasn't very hopeful, but now I'm definitely more positive. I know that titles are a question of taste, but I would really like to hear some opinions, because there is no way I can play them all. As for traveling, I'm down with it. Nothing would motivate me more to hit the road than a good deal on a pinball machine. I won't cross the country, but I'd definitely make a 6-7 hour round trip.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I have personally fallen in love with Space Shuttle after working on a friends restored example. Simple to understand but man that game can kick your ass!

D

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
I have personally fallen in love with Space Shuttle after working on a friends restored example. Simple to understand but man that game can kick your ass!

D
Appreciate the tip, but Space Shuttle is too retro for me ;) I need some ramps and rails.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
That's ok. Space Shuttle isn't for sale. I love it. (insert smiley emoticon)
However, there are likely a few I will sell very soon. You can come try a few.
You can come and see us @ Bluffs Pinball in Scarborough. 27 pins on legs as of today.
I'm swamped this week and next with work, but sometime after father's day, plan a visit.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Highly recommend High Speed (1986); this was the pin that got me into pinball.

Same general time period as Taxi, easy to understand rules that aren't always easy to achieve. Could be at the high end of your price limit depending on condition, and it's wanted by many so when they do come up they are often snatched up quickly.

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Highly recommend High Speed (1986); this was the pin that got me into pinball.

Same general time period as Taxi, easy to understand rules that aren't always easy to achieve. Could be at the high end of your price limit depending on condition, and it's wanted by many so when they do come up they are often snatched up quickly.
There is actually a High Speed for sale right here at the forum for $2,200.

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/high-speed.4747/

I was very tempted, but I didn't want to to get the first machine I came across. It's definitely a title to be considered.

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
That's ok. Space Shuttle isn't for sale. I love it. (insert smiley emoticon)
However, there are likely a few I will sell very soon. You can come try a few.
You can come and see us @ Bluffs Pinball in Scarborough. 27 pins on legs as of today.
I'm swamped this week and next with work, but sometime after father's day, plan a visit.
Thanks for the invitation! I'm also very busy at the moment. I just recently moved to Canada from Brazil, so there is still a lot I need to take care of. But I'll make it over there sometime for sure! Do you have any ideia of the machines you might be selling soon?

Cheers!

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Found a Waterworld on Kijiji for $2,200. It seems in pretty good shape. New DMD, rebuilt flippers, and any other parts.

Has anybody ever played it? Is it any fun? Seems pretty cool on the videos I saw online. Plus, I'm a Waterworld fan (kind of).

Cheers!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Play it before you think of buying... I have never heard great things about it, but that doesnt' mean you won't like it.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Found a Waterworld on Kijiji for $2,200. It seems in pretty good shape. New DMD, rebuilt flippers, and any other parts.

Has anybody ever played it? Is it any fun? Seems pretty cool on the videos I saw online. Plus, I'm a Waterworld fan (kind of).

Cheers!

I think you'd be better off with the Space Shuttle ;)
Coincidentally, it does have a ramp

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. There are a lot of people complimenting Space Shuttle. At first sight, I didn't think it was my cup of tea, but now I'm really curious to try it out. If I ever come across one, I'll give it an honest go. Meanwhile, Waterworld is starting to sound like a bad ideia.

I know pinball is a question of taste, but isn't everything? I don't want you guys to tell me what machine to buy, just for games that, personally, you think are fun and usually on the cheaper side.

Cheers!

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
Whenever I see a game for sale I'm not familiar with, I hit up the TNT videos on youtube and see if they've made one about the game. Todd normally does a pretty good job going over the machine, pointing out known issues and fixes, and a breakdown of the rules and gameplay. In five minutes I'll have a pretty good overview of the game.

I've watched a few of his videos and thought "holy crap, that machine looks boring as hell" and others where I'm emailing the seller before the video is over.

I find those videos a huge resource in my hunt for interesting and fun machines.

As for which to recommend, try looking at some of the Sega/Data East games. I have a few of their games I quite like (Tales form the Crypt and Starship Troopers) and you can normally find them at a reasonable price.

A consistent winner at my house is Rollergames. I'll have people over with broad tastes in pinball but Rollergames is usually a favourite. Another is Royal Rumble. Both those games are super cheese, but they have that something which keep people coming back for more.

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Whenever I see a game for sale I'm not familiar with, I hit up the TNT videos on youtube and see if they've made one about the game. Todd normally does a pretty good job going over the machine, pointing out known issues and fixes, and a breakdown of the rules and gameplay. In five minutes I'll have a pretty good overview of the game.

I've watched a few of his videos and thought "holy crap, that machine looks boring as hell" and others where I'm emailing the seller before the video is over.

I find those videos a huge resource in my hunt for interesting and fun machines.

As for which to recommend, try looking at some of the Sega/Data East games. I have a few of their games I quite like (Tales form the Crypt and Starship Troopers) and you can normally find them at a reasonable price.

A consistent winner at my house is Rollergames. I'll have people over with broad tastes in pinball but Rollergames is usually a favourite. Another is Royal Rumble. Both those games are super cheese, but they have that something which keep people coming back for more.
Rollergames seems pretty cool. Loved the ass on that blondie ;)

I'm very familiar with the TNT Amusements videos, but lately I've been watching mostly PAPA tutorial and gameplays. The top view is great and you really get a feel of what the game is all about.

I've been looking at Date East Games. Tales From the Crypt would be a dream come true. I LOVED the TV show as a kid. But I doubt it would fit my budget. The theme is way to popular, I think.

Rocky and Bullwinkle looks pretty awesome. Very simple and challenging gameplay. Feels almost like a late 80's alphanumeric game. Plus, the art is top notch and I really dig the theme.I think it will be easier to come across a Rocky and Bullwinkle for $2,000 (or a bit over) than a Tales From the Crypt.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com

I'll second both of these games. I own both.

Despite the varied lineup in my gameroom, Rollergames is the clear winner amongst non-pinhead visitors. Clear objectives, great theme and catchy music. I have people asking if I still have "the roller derby" game years after they visit...and they can still sing the theme song. It's pretty much a copy of Ritchie's earlier High Speed design, so it's got the feel of a classicly designed layout.

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
As fun as Rollergames may be, I think the theme is awful. It might be nice to own as part of a collection, but I don't think there is anyone out there that has JUST a Rollergames machine ;)

There is a High Speed here for $2,200 in nice shape which seems like a better deal. But I played it o Pinball Arcade and found it a little repetitive. It seems like all you do is shoot the ramp to reach the red light, shoot the ramp to run it and then shoot the ramp for the jackpot. Does anyone feel differently about it? There has gotta be something more to it i'm not seeing. After all, it's a classic.

Cheers!

Last edited:

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
F-14 Tomcat, Cyclone/Comet, High Speed, maybe even some mid 80 Gottlieb titles would be a great place to start. Probably be pushing the budget to get into a DMD unless you get lucky with something like Gladiators or Street Fighter 2 types of games.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Gottlieb's Secret Service which has some similarities with High Speed, but I think is a better game, would be good. Not hard to find and probably around the $1500 mark. 2-ball and 3-ball multi-ball with ramps.