• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Buying Pin Need Cutoms & Price Help Please

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Re: Buying Pin Need Cutoms

mwong168 said:
meegis said:
Speaking of customs/taxes

What if you own the game in say a vacation home? For example, if you have own a home in Florida, and you have a pin there for the last 4 years, and finally decided to just bring it home?

What happens in that case?

I would guess you better have your paperwork to support your claim like a bill of sale from where you bought it from. If you bought it from a US vendor you would probably have to pay the 13% taxes on it with some possible depreciation to bring it back to Canada?

Mike would be correct. The only way you would avoid paying the tax on entering Canada is if you could prove that exact game was originated in Canada. (bill of sale with the S/N that matched the game, or "green card" etc)

D

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
The best way to avoid all taxes is bring it back in a trailer and tell them it is furniture valued at a few hundred dollars :FP: :lol:

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Williams Fan said:
The best way to avoid all taxes is bring it back in a trailer and tell them it is furniture valued at a few hundred dollars :FP: :lol:

Ahhh I wish that would work or I had the balls to try it. :lol:

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
QG,

You can have my LOTR and a beautiful NOS uninstalled playfield if you can find and trade for an AFM.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
cdnpinballer said:
QG,

You can have my LOTR and a beautiful NOS uninstalled playfield if you can find and trade for an AFM.

I wish I could do that but I think AFM are 7k right now and LOTR 5 - 5.5k depending on condition. I could be very wrong though. :?:

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
brewmanager said:
Probably why the offer was made. Lee was after a Lotr for a looooong time!

yah I feel his pain. And thanks for the extra option Lee. Now what if I can find a nice TAXI and cash, Hmmmmmmm?

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge

mwong168 said:
meegis said:
Speaking of customs/taxes

What if you own the game in say a vacation home? For example, if you have own a home in Florida, and you have a pin there for the last 4 years, and finally decided to just bring it home?

What happens in that case?

I would guess you better have your paperwork to support your claim like a bill of sale from where you bought it from. If you bought it from a US vendor you would probably have to pay the 13% taxes on it with some possible depreciation to bring it back to Canada?
It sounds right, but I can say from experience, when I moved back home from Florida [university] I have my car filled to the brim with all my stuff. Suitcases, boxes, blankets to cover other stuff. Didn't get any questions once I said Im moving back home.

Now, a pinball is a lot harder to hide for sure, but it still makes me wonder what reaction I would get if I could prove US residence.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
I think it is plausible that if you lived in the U.S. for a year or more and came back across the border with a trailer full of furniture, including a pinball machine, you could be successful with the " I was at school in the States and now I'm moving back home" routine. If they pulled you over, went through your stuff and asked about the machine, you just give them straight-forward answers. Living in the U.S. for a while gives the scenario a new 'twist' and might just get you through without penalty.

Just have the invoice ready in case and don't play word games or mind games. Most of the agents have a sense of humour, but THEY like to dictate the tempo of the interview. They often misinterpret jokes, smiles, etc, as attempts at evasion.

The circumstances under which I have brought pins back have differed greatly. Almost every time I have gone over, picked up a pin and headed back just a few hours later, I have had to pay the 13%. However, once I spend a night or two in the U.S., I end up paying the taxes about 50% of the time. Mind you, I am talking about machines worth between $500 and $1500. Staying over a night or two would probably mean nothing if you were dragging back a Cactus Canyon. :cool:

A few times, I have stayed about a week. I paid about 33% of the time when I did that.

And once, I stayed about 3 weeks. Brought a Playboy pin back from San Diego. ( No, I didn't drive down there just to get a Playboy ). That was wave through city even though it was a little more than my personal exemption it was a no-brainer for the agent, especially with 3 of us in the car.

Long story short ( too late ), each border crossing is like a box of chocolates. However, there has been a movement in the last couple of years to tighten things up and the likelihood that you will pay something at the border in increasing.

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge

Things are getting more annoying, and Ive noticed it this summer for sure (I watch the niagara cams, its a weird addictiion)

Anyway, I also have the bonus of using Nexus. Even at regular borders, I feel like I get treated differently. It has been commented on by my buddy who was with me once.

His words: "How was it that quick and easy to get through? He didnt even ask what was in the car?"

It happens a lot, and trust me, the cars Ive crossed in, mixed with my age doesnt help.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
quarter grabber said:
brewmanager said:

yah I feel his pain. And thanks for the extra option Lee. Now what if I can find a nice TAXI and cash, Hmmmmmmm?

Naw, I wouldn't let it go for a Taxi + cash. Well... unless it was Taxi + wheelbarrow full of cash. They maybe we can talk.

By the way - I did contact Allouette and asked for pics of the Taxi they got in from Algreia :FP: . In typical form they promised to get pics out to me and have failed to follow through. LOL I'm still waiting on those pics O'Reilly!!!! AHAHA

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
cdnpinballer said:
quarter grabber said:
brewmanager said:

Naw, I wouldn't let it go for a Taxi + cash. Well... unless it was Taxi + wheelbarrow full of cash. They maybe we can talk.

By the way - I did contact Allouette and asked for pics of the Taxi they got in from Algreia :FP: . In typical form they promised to get pics out to me and have failed to follow through. LOL I'm still waiting on those pics O'Reilly!!!! AHAHA

Oh man, I'm embarrassed for even telling you about it now. :oops:
Sorry about that Lee. But if you ever do just want to out right sell that LOTR, you let me know. ;)

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Hey man don't be sorry at all. They actually surpassed my expectations by answering the phone!! :FP:

I'm sure you'll find a LOTR by the time I'm ready to sell.

Besides, my LOTR is previously routed with some wear in the shire and dings on the cab. We play the heck out of it so I don't really care but I do have a NOS playfield for it. You ready to take on a playfield swap yet to make it purrrrdy?

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
cdnpinballer said:
You ready to take on a playfield swap yet to make it purrrrdy?

Yep I am. I was going to do one on my STTNG then I figured it really wasn't that bad. And I don't really care about cab condition, just putting that out there. ;)

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Back on topic, something I've done with bringing a pin back is tied it in with taking my wife shopping in the states.

Of course, hotels, meals and the shopping itself probably negate the tax exemption you gain, but when I picked up Grand Lizard with a 2 person 48 hr exemption, we were waved right thru. Not a 5k pin, but I was still happy.

It was win-win - grandparents enjoyed the kids, I got a pin, my wife got to shop, and...

Well, some things are better in a hotel room. And the hot tub...

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
brewmanager said:
Back on topic, something I've done with bringing a pin back is tied it in with taking my wife shopping in the states.

Of course, hotels, meals and the shopping itself probably negate the tax exemption you gain, but when I picked up Grand Lizard with a 2 person 48 hr exemption, we were waved right thru. Not a 5k pin, but I was still happy.

It was win-win - grandparents enjoyed the kids, I got a pin, my wife got to shop, and...

Well, some things are better in a hotel room. And the hot tub...

Nice!