1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FS Cabinet Repairs and Replacement

Discussion in 'Pinball Machines / Parts FOR SALE' started by zebulon, Dec 9, 2013.

1. zebulon

zebulon Member

Replacement cabinets built to order and cabinet repairs available.

Willing to ship as assembled units or as flat packs.

Typically, a standard width replacement cabinet made from 3/4" maple plywood is in the $350 range (more material than I originally thought...:) ) assembled and unfinished (price variance due to lumber being a commodity with a wildly fluctuating price).

Repairs to cabinets (replacement panels, etc) start at $50

I have a 700sq ft workshop in Whitby complete with all the equipment required for tackling your projects including an electronics repair station and a 24"x42" cnc router (soon to be upgraded to 4' x 8'). Custom cnc work is available as well.

I'll have to dig up some pics, but have built several cabinets for myself and for virtual pinball cabinets.

Thanks for the interest!

Steve

Attached Files:

2. DRANO

DRANO Well-Known Member

Interesting Steve.
    Nice to have an option like this close to home.

Have you done any Bally Williams WPC or WPC-95 cabinets yet that we can look at?
    For $300 I might be willing to forget repairing some of my project games and just go this route.

I'd even pay a little extra to have you make the sides and back out of 3/4" crezone and have a paint ready surface!

3. mwong168

mwong168 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting Steve and I think I have seen your PinMAME cabinet over on the Hyperspin forums in the past.

4. Grauwulf

Grauwulf Member

Also Interested in this for a WPC cabinet.

5. Menace

Menace Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

+1. WPC/95 style cabs would be a nice option.

D

6. WARLOCK

WARLOCK Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting Steve. Great speaking to you yesterday. Congrats on Silver ball Mania sale!

As you can tell from the responses already, there are many of us that wish to redo some of our cabs.
    Since my business is electronics based, woodworking is not an option at my shop, so your plan sounds good.

If you need any cabs to measure to make a WPC, or a WPC 95, or a P2k, SS, EM, etc., I would be happy to assist
    in lending you any empty cabinet or a pin to measure and re-create what members may be looking to have built.

Cheers.

7. REVOLUTION

REVOLUTION Administrator
    Staff Member

That looks great! Welcome aboard.. your services will be very much appreciated here at PBRev. :)

Do you have a classic Bally cab template handy? Say... for a Centaur? :D

8. zebulon

zebulon Member

WOW....thanks for the welcomes and the interest....it's a little overwhelming....:D

I haven't got any pics of unfinished cabinets that I've done at this point, suffice to say that I have built 4 in the past couple of years. Unfortunately I have gotten to the age where I'm lazy with documenting these things as the woodworking became sort of "hum drum" and word of mouth kept me going. Because of this, I stopped taking pictures. I'll have to rectify this asap.

I have several plans/drawings that I've had some friends with machines verify the measurements on for me, specifically Williams standard and widebody plans that Greg Butcher (mameman for those on pinside and the vpworld) did up. I have a Bally standard cab here that I am going to measure up and document before it goes out the door (the Silverball Mania I had for sale) and I have a Stern "Pinball" and a Chicago Coin "Superstar" which will give me everything but the Gottlieb line for measurements. Any help I can get with getting access to a machine for measurements would be greatly appreciated (and thanks for that offer WARLOCK).

My goal with this is to offer the community a reasonably priced replacement that exactly matches the original design. It's a win win as it will help out those needing the replacements and hopefully renew the fun aspect of woodworking for me.

I have to do up a Williams system 6 widebody for myself for a resurrection of a machine that was gutted in a tragic virtual pinball incident elsewhere in the province (I inherited the parts in trade for some of my virtual pinball driver boards) so I'll definitely take some pics and post them here for verification that I actually can do what I say I can...:D

@Mike....yes, that's the one I built while you and I were doing extreme cranial damage trying to figure out the whole "esc" button issue between vp and hyperpin.....good to see you haven't been crushed during a move up or down those stairs to your gamesroom :lol: :lol:

Thanks again everyone.

Steve

9. ibjeepin

ibjeepin Member

Steve

I noticed in the picture that the corners are not mitred. Do you mitre your pinball cabinets like the factory with a lock mitre?

IBJ

10. zebulon

zebulon Member

Hi,

Yes I have a lock miter bit...this one to be exact....[​IMG]

It's not an exact match for the 70s and 80s Bally cabs as it has a 45deg corner edge, but it is extremely strong and surprisingly accurate.

The cab in the photo I made a few years ago in the basement with a skillsaw, my options were a bit limited on that project....:)

Thanks for the inquiry.

11. Luckydogg420

Luckydogg420 Member

Oooh... I didn't know about these router bits. I'm going to lee valley this weekend. I might have to get one. I like having the right tool for the job and this is way better then a standard miter.

I've also thought about a plywood cnc. Do you have any pointers to look for when getting one. I'd imagine that I'd get a lot of use from one.

12. zebulon

zebulon Member

There are so many different CNCs out there, so varied a price range and so many different approaches that I wouldn't even know where to begin. Just be sure of the quality of the components when you are shopping them out.

CNCzone is a great site for honest appraisals of different approaches to it. The best advice I can give is to be sure of the size that you want as it's a lot like buying a boat...you can get a case of "2-foot-itis" very quickly (the old I wish this was bigger routine).

13. zebulon

zebulon Member

I know it's not the pic of a cab that you're waiting for but.....here's something that came off the cnc today.

Attached Files:

14. eh97ac

eh97ac Active Member

Nice!

Gives me a couple of ideas.

15. zebulon

zebulon Member

A little bit of progress on an order from a member here.

Attached Files:

16. zebulon

zebulon Member

Some more for those considering it...

Attached Files:

17. Shock_me

Shock_me Member

That's the real deal zeb. Nice work!

18. WARLOCK

WARLOCK Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve,
    Your work looks great so far.
    All the best.

19. zebulon

zebulon Member

Thanks guys, trying to document it so that everyone can see just what they would be getting.

Of course it's taking forever as I make the jigs that I'll need along the way....:)

Attached Files:

20. Grauwulf

Grauwulf Member

Looks like WPC? What's it for?