• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

CNN: Inside the wild comeback of tournament pinball

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Still others -- especially teenagers like Henderson who were raised on video-games -- are attracted to the tactile physicality. For them, pinball is an antidote to the programmed patterns and digitized detachment of screen-based gameplay.

I would say this sentence sums up nicely my attraction to pinball. I love arcade games whole heartedly but there is certainly something that draws you in when it's just you versus the game without any artificial intellegence. No input reading by the ai, no catch up style programs etc. I understand some pinball machines have "random" prize awards that aren't so random but the foundation of the game is still you versus physics. If the ball hits a bumper and flies down the outlane, you did that. If the ball hits a bumper and goes flying into the scoop that starts the wizard mode, you did that too. Every single shot can be calculated mathematically. Unfortunately physics always wins but it sure is fun trying. :lol: