• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Common/Rare Canadian Games

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
It seems that there are certain titles that are more plentiful in Ontario/Quebec than others, despite the production run numbers. Likewise, there are some games that just never come up for sale and are never spotted in private collections.

I'll start, only because I've done the legwork on this one before: in ON/PQ, Gottlieb Volley seems to come up more than any other Wedgehead. See the end of the article here where Canadian Volleys are discussed: http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/06/10/featured-game-gottlieb-volley/

Let's hear your personal observations on Canadian common/rare games!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
There are 2900 Volleys out there in the world, I would assume Volleys are pretty common everywhere.

Weird one I've found is El Dorado City of Gold, less then 1000 produced and I know of at least 4 or 5 of them in Ontario.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's all relative. I've seen more Volleys in Canada than I have Big Indian, Fast Draw and Hot Shot games combined, and each of those games at least triple Volley in production numbers.

*shrugs* guess it is just perception. I've owned a Big Indian and sold it, and see other collectors with the same machine. Fast Draw and Hot shot I have no interest in so I haven't really followed their availability.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Godzilla was a very low production game and yet there are at least 4 in Ottawa alone. Adam once said that you will "never find a Godzilla".

A DMD that is very rare in Canada that you would never think is Jackbot. I only know of 3 others in Ontario. This has to do with the fact that it was never sent to any distributors in Canada when NIB. They made that title as a "filler" till they could come up with a fresh title so none ever made it up to Canada originally.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I remember last year at Pinfest warlock had brought down a Volley for free play. We were instantly marked as Canadians by several EM vets because "you rarely see Volleys down here and there's tons in Canada".

At the time Laniel and others probably just placed a ton of orders for the game...and they tend to stay in their geographic areas.

Conversely, there always seems to be a Godzilla or two in Allentown but they don't often come up for sale here.

Interflip Dragon is another one that is rare in certain US locations but plentiful here.

Hell, even between QC and ON you will notice a skew. More classic Bally pins in la belle provence and more Williams in ON

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
Hell, even between QC and ON you will notice a skew. More classic Bally pins in la belle provence...

My brief experience shows this to be true. I brought my Mata Hari back from Quebec City and the Bally's I'm looking for all seem to be in Quebec. I guess if I bring enough back it will even things out ;-)

Last edited:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Melody (1967) is a beautiful game, and rare. 550 made. Likely only 50-60 exist now. (Rare in Canada) add-a-ball. Personally imported. Very few here.

Marathon (1955) is another rare one with only 750 made and likely 40-50 remaining. Personally imported. Only 1 known in ON - 1 in QC.

Defender (1982) - 369 made - only a few known of in Canada I am told.

Algar (1980) - 349 made - only a few known in Canada as well.

and of course... Orbitor 1 (1982) - 889 made - maybe a handful or so in Canada.

These are the 5 "rare" pins I decided to keep. (Rare is generally defined as under 1000 made in production.)
I won't get into the other pre 1960 rare pins and devices as they are very difficult to assess how many were here or are left.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I've got a Star Light with Sys9 boards in it from the factory. Only one known to exist. It was only a rumor that some got made with Sys9 boards, but until I got mine there are no other documented examples that I know of.

Also have a super nice Star Gazer.

D

Last edited:

amona

Nov 19, 2012
Barrie
Challenger - either 110 made or is it 510 made? Either way, I've owned 2 and fixed a third

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I guess it boils down to the 'Flavour of the Month' effect, too. One game pops up for sale and a few more follow suit looking to cash in. Kind of skews what is really out there.

I can remember also remember a few years back when everyone and their brother had a Comet for sale on Kijiji...that game had a pretty high run, but numbers on it are high in Canada it seems.