• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Considering MMr as my first game - Am I nuts?

Damien

Sep 25, 2016
Toronto
Hey all,

I'm looking to get my first game for my rec room, and I've been considering the Medieval Madness remake.

It's a stupid amount of money to put into one machine, but from everything I know about it, it sounds like it would be a keeper.

Just wanted to get some opinions before I do something this crazy.

theyangman

Feb 18, 2016
London, On
Wow. Talk about jumping in head first! It's a fun game in my opinion. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if my pinball funds were that high... Lol

Sent from my Pixel XXXL

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I recently sold mine, but I also had the pleasure of owning it for almost 8 years.
It was a staple in the lineup and loved by pinheads and regular folk alike.

Now, if you ask me today, I'd say put the money into 2-3 other games with some nice variety... but it's easy for me to say that since I already owned one for a long time and it's out of my system.

No help here ;)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Damien you are more then welcome to come over and spend some time on my MM and other pins to get a feel for what you like and don't like.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I had the choice of MMr and GoT for a fantasy theme when I was shopping. The game of thrones license was more appealing and I would have had to wait for an MMr at the time, so I decided to go with GoT.

Both are great games I'd recommend them both. Just get some play time in on them before you jump in.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
If you like the game, go for it, and if you're buying new you're at least starting from a point of what should be a pretty reliable machine. Worst case, you decide you don't like it, and have a reasonably easy time moving it out afterwards, and it should retain most of its value.

Damien

Sep 25, 2016
Toronto
MWong168/Beafraid,

Thank you both for the very kind offer. I'll love to take you up on it. Would also love to see other games in your collection to maybe get some ideas. I've had the pleasure of playing a lot of games at Bluff's and DRAPL, along with a close friend of mine that just picked up a Ghostbusters LE.

I'm probably not looking to have an extensive collection, but would like 1 or 2 machines that have a great deal of reply value. Seeing Medieval Madness on a lot of top 10 lists, along with all the great reviews, made me think this might be a good choice.

Anyhow, I'd love to try it out to get a better idea, before I put this kind of money on something.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Seeing Medieval Madness on a lot of top 10 lists, along with all the great reviews, made me think this might be a good choice.

Buy what you like and not what is ranked highest or part of a Top 10-20 list. Theatre of Magic has pretty much been a staple at #2 on ipdb's top 10 list for as long as I've been in this hobby Nov 2010. But if you ask Vengeance for his opinion or read his game play analysis he thinks the game is terrible especially from a tournament perspective :p

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/theatre-of-magic.1446/

I have owned Theatre of Magic for the past 5 years and can't see myself parting with it anytime soon. I did toss and turn a few nights in bed thinking over an offer made to me for $9500 and rolling it into a new in box Ghostbusters Premium. In the end I turned it down and found the buyer a nice TOM with a treasure cove clear coated playfield swapped in by Menace 5-6 years ago and fresh new cabinet re-done by poolman for much less.

My advice as I mentioned above is make some friends with pins, get out to some of these leagues like Bluffs or TOPL or DRAPL and expose yourself to as many different machines DMD, SS or even EMs to see what you like. Personally I don't think MM would cut it in a single or small (less then 2-3 pin) collection. For that kind of money I would follow Drano's advice and instead of putting all your eggs in one basket get some variety.

Damien

Sep 25, 2016
Toronto
Yes, I've been to Bluff's and last Friday I went out to the big DRAPL one. Really good times, and lots of fun games.

I'm not going to make my decision on what people consider their top picks, but like going to a movie, I use the reviews as a gauge to decide what I will try out. I need to playa bunch of games before I pull the trigger on this, but all the videos I've seen on MM make me think it would be something I would enjoy. I love the theme!

But I know being in the top 10 means nothing... I have played Addam's Family a bunch of times, and I really don't understand how it gets that sort of rating. It's a good game, but in my experience, not great. I would much prefer White Water over that, though as fun as the game is, it does start to get a bit easy after a bit of play.

I'm very excited to meet more people in the community and go out to more events so I can try a variety of games and hopefully get something in my basement that I'll love. Who knows, I might get hooked and end up building a small collection. I do have some space ;)

Cheers :)

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I know some of the TOPL hosts are a bit of a drive (very liberal definition of "Toronto"), but there are at least 2 MMs in rotation for league hosts, as well as most of the other games that you'd find on "top games" lists. There are definitely worse things to do on a Monday night :)