• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Cost for an operator to put a single machine on location?

Sup3rdaddy

Apr 27, 2013
Edmonton
I'm curious to know what sort of agreements get worked it in this sort of situation.

Can anyone shed some light on how this works?

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Re: Cost for an operator to put a single machine on location

Interesting question. I have a few OP friends who may know.
Maybe they will post, or I could ask and find out for you.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario

I am not an operator, but have asked a local pizza joint that had a machine in their shop. They do it for free, basically it gets customers to stay longer and spend more money. The operator pays for the game, maintenance and empties the money regularly ....

Just my 2cents worth. Someone on PBR was doing commercial coin -op as a hobby and was sharing his adventures ... he would be a perfect person to contact if you are trying to get into the business....

Sup3rdaddy

Apr 27, 2013
Edmonton

WARLOCK said:
Interesting question. I have a few OP friends who may know.
Maybe they will post, or I could ask and find out for you.

That would be great if they don't notice this thread :)

thewebexpert said:
I am not an operator, but have asked a local pizza joint that had a machine in their shop. They do it for free, basically it gets customers to stay longer and spend more money. The operator pays for the game, maintenance and empties the money regularly ....

Very interesting, this was kinda how I hoped it worked. I've got a South Park I wouldn't mind testing these waters with.
thewebexpert said:
Just my 2cents worth. Someone on PBR was doing commercial coin -op as a hobby and was sharing his adventures ... he would be a perfect person to contact if you are trying to get into the business....

Do you recall his handle?

Sup3rdaddy

Apr 27, 2013
Edmonton

Interesting indeed.

He mentions a 50/50 split with venue

I like the sound of dropping a pin off at a laundromat or pizza joint better for now...

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

If you are going to do it right its not cheap to run a route

Even with just one game you are exposing yourself to risk.

As a an example, lets say in the freak off chance your machine catches fire and burns down whatever establishment its in. Your on the hook for that, so you'll need special business insurance to protect yourself.

Same thing if some asshole gets rough with the machine tips it over and it falls and hurts someone

Operating a machine properly isnt as simple as dumping a machine on location and raking in the dough

There are risks, and are the risks really worth the maybe $40 a week the machine might pull in.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener

Vengeance said:
As a an example, lets say in the freak off chance your machine catches fire and burns down whatever establishment its in. Your on the hook for that, so you'll need special business insurance to protect yourself.

There are risks, and are the risks really worth the maybe $40 a week the machine might pull in.

I'm curious how much that special insurance would be annually? Could you just tack it onto your home policy or would you need to start a company? If income from a game on location is only ~$500 a year could you claim it as extra personal income, or do you have to run it as a business? If you did have to create a company, then you could write off the purchase/ maintenance cost of the game and be running as a business loss for years.

I think most pinball owners have dreamed of this at one time or another.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON

Luckydogg420 said:
Vengeance said:

I'm curious how much that special insurance would be annually? Could you just tack it onto your home policy or would you need to start a company?

Very, very, very unlikely. Home insurance will not cover business items. Even if you work from home, you need special insurance or a rider to cover your business items and provide additional coverage. Best place to start is to call your insurance agent/broker and start a dialogue.

Cheers,
Duane

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Yep, as soon as any of your personal property brings in revenue, it is no longer considered personal property and would require commercial insurance. (I know this from one of my other ventures)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON

I know every time I've told my insurance company i have pinballs, their first question is, am I using them to take in revenue.

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON

Vengeance said:
I know every time I've told my insurance company i have pinballs, their first question is, am I using them to take in revenue.

+1 Same for me.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

Really, they never asked me about that, and I mentioned it specifically the last time I renewed. Not even a special rider for them on the contents insurance, and no specific limit. I asked if it fell under "collectibles" and no, it doesn't (although the comics do), so just general contents. Might be an issue for some of those with larger/more valuable collections, but for my small lineup, it's still reasonable. Only specific there was to be able to prove that I owned what I said I owned if it ever came up.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

I had to increase the contents portion of my insurance to cover my collection, but that was it. I could have got a specific rider for them but it didn't make sense given they fall under contents.

D

Oct 10, 2013
Thornton, ON

Luckydogg420 said:
Vengeance said:

I'm curious how much that special insurance would be annually? Could you just tack it onto your home policy or would you need to start a company? If income from a game on location is only ~$500 a year could you claim it as extra personal income, or do you have to run it as a business? If you did have to create a company, then you could write off the purchase/ maintenance cost of the game and be running as a business loss for years.

I think most pinball owners have dreamed of this at one time or another.

CRA will only let you run a "Business" that is consistently losing for 3 years according to my accountant. After that it is considered a "Hobby". I would dare say you would have a hard time depreciating your machines as they seem to be increasing in value all the time.

viperboy

Dec 14, 2012

I'm an operator here in Ottawa. If you thinking on generating a little extra cash operating a pinball machine on location your nuts ! Remember one thing, passion doesn't pay the bills.

But if you look at the business model, it's horrible.

* $5190 + tax for a pin = $5864.70
* average revenue in a Movie theater with 20-30,000 people coming through the door per month is about $15-$150 per month. (Confirmed)
* anything outside of a big box movie theater is painful at best with a few exceptions.
* most operators out there are giving 50/50 split
* your gas to service and repairs these things on a daily basis plus parts.
* 2-4 hours per week to keep the fleet going with no pay
* net revenue for one pin on a yearly basis approx $900 (excluding: insurance, gas, parts, time)
* 6.5 years just to recover the cost of the pinball machine and now your getting into your money.
* after year 1 the location wants another title and the dance starts all over again.

I respect operators that try to keep pinballs going on route but I'd rather focus my energy on making money.